PDA

View Full Version : new inver tank!!! yeeeee!!!!!

terrapin24h
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey all--
I've wanted to setup and invert only tank, but we didn't really have the room for it in the house. My wife being the sweety that she is agreed to let me put the tank in one of our guest bedrooms. So i got me a 10gal starter kit from petsmart and have it cycling! Hopefully i can get it to cycle fast to get some more snails and some of algenco's cherry shrimp!

--chris

fins_n_fur
10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Nice one! We're looking forward to the pictures!

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Don't speed the cycle too much!
If shrimp are going in it must be stable :c3: IMO

Sounds like fun.

What sweet wife letting MTS run loose in your home! :hmm3grin2orange:

Get some pics of the new project up soon ,eh!:19:

terrapin24h
10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
i am currently cycling the tank with gravel, but am thinking about going over to sand/gravel mix. I was also thinking about how to keep the cycle going with just shrimp and snails in the tank. Neither produce much bio-load, so i was thinking about dropping 3 or 4 zebra dainos in there to keep things hummin. any suggestions on that?

--chris

xximanoobxx
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
It'll keep it cycled but down the road when u add a fish or sumin, theres gonna be a spike of sum sort because the bacterias can't take the ammonia that are added to the tank...So u dont have to add fish...
Does that make sense?
lawl

terrapin24h
10-13-2008, 07:06 PM
So essentially you're saying that i'm going to have a bacteria die off as the inverts won't produce as much bacteria food as my fish-less cycle is creating the need for? Makes sense. I didn't really want to add fish to this tank, as I want it for inverts only, so i was thinking 2 or 3 dainos just to keep the cycle going, but was afraid that the baby inverts would get picked on even by them.

--chris

Gemini
10-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Go shrimp only. You won't need fish as the shrimp do produce a small amount and your bio load will support that and adjust accordingly. You might have some die off if your fishless cycle generated more bacteria, but your shrimp will be fine. I have a shrimp only tank that is 6G and it maintains its cycle.

Taurus
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey all--
I've wanted to setup and invert only tank, but we didn't really have the room for it in the house. My wife being the sweety that she is agreed to let me put the tank in one of our guest bedrooms. So i got me a 10gal starter kit from petsmart and have it cycling! Hopefully i can get it to cycle fast to get some more snails and some of algenco's cherry shrimp!

--chris

I've been think about doing the same thing myself, but I'm going shrimp only as a species tank. Good luck with yours!!

terrapin24h
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Go shrimp only. You won't need fish as the shrimp do produce a small amount and your bio load will support that and adjust accordingly. You might have some die off if your fishless cycle generated more bacteria, but your shrimp will be fine. I have a shrimp only tank that is 6G and it maintains its cycle.

OK cool. I'll go invert only. I'd like to get some mytery snail action going on in the tank too, once the shrimp get established.

--chris

Gemini
10-15-2008, 12:49 AM
OK cool. I'll go invert only. I'd like to get some mytery snail action going on in the tank too, once the shrimp get established.

--chris
Sounds like a good plan to me!!!:19:

Sounguru
10-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Oh come on if ya want inverts you need:

Cherry Shrimp
Ramshorn Snails
Another type of Ramshorn Snail
Malasyian Trumpet Snail
Tadpole/Pouch Snail
Assassin Snail
Scud
Detritus Worms
Planaria
Damsel Fly Larvae
Leeches

Now that is a real invert tank.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Gemini
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Guru - not all of us want our shrimp tank to be like a venture into the scary deep unknown!!:hmm3grin2orange: IF I get leeches or those scary looking damsel fly things they are getting shipped to you!!!

Sounguru
10-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Guru - not all of us want our shrimp tank to be like a venture into the scary deep unknown!!:hmm3grin2orange: IF I get leeches or those scary looking damsel fly things they are getting shipped to you!!!

And I'm thinkin about moving it all over to a 55 just so it can really grow...:hmm3grin2orange:

Gemstone
10-15-2008, 06:59 AM
And I'm thinkin about moving it all over to a 55 just so it can really grow...:hmm3grin2orange:

Sometimes..sounguru...you scare me....

As to the tank in question..you can go with shrimp only...the better half has one...and it is doing great!

terrapin24h
10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Sometimes..sounguru...you scare me....

As to the tank in question..you can go with shrimp only...the better half has one...and it is doing great!

LOL, me too. Although i have to admit i may plant the 10 gal, and if i do "neglect" to clean the plants well before putting them in it. Then i'd have mts and mystery snails and shrimp. I'd get the mystery snail established first, of course before letting the MTS move in. I'm hoping the tank will be able to provide some income in the for of selling the shrimp fry; so the hobby can help to pay for itself. I have a gravel substrate in the tank now, though i may conver part of it to sand. The filter said not to use sand, but i think it would make the livestock i plan to keep more comfortable.

--chris

Taurus
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
LOL, me too. Although i have to admit i may plant the 10 gal, and if i do "neglect" to clean the plants well before putting them in it. Then i'd have mts and mystery snails and shrimp. I'd get the mystery snail established first, of course before letting the MTS move in. I'm hoping the tank will be able to provide some income in the for of selling the shrimp fry; so the hobby can help to pay for itself. I have a gravel substrate in the tank now, though i may conver part of it to sand. The filter said not to use sand, but i think it would make the livestock i plan to keep more comfortable.

--chris

Hey Chris-
I got my new ten gallon kit going today. The filter is a Whisper 5-15 with an aquaclear sponge over the intake. I wrapped the floss frame with polyester batting that I buy at wally world cheap. The Whisper comes with an internal sponge too. I had an older 50w Jager heater and set it to 73 degrees. I went with a thin layer of black gravel for substrate. The kit came with a hood that takes two incandecent bulbs, but I removed those and found 3 watt flourecent bulbs that put out 20 watts each. There is a diffuser covering them so the lighting is not too bright at all. I don't want to much algae. I'm going to get some java moss growing on a rock this week. My tank is going to be a red cherry shrimp and snail heaven.
I did run the Whisper filter on my 20 long for about a week and took some gravel from that tank and placed it in a small cup in under the filter intake.
And I did spend the extra money for a seachem ammonia meter so I don't have to buy ammonia tests kits. I'm also using Prime for chlorine, heavy metal, and ammonia control. I'm using three danios to cycle the tank and have done this before without any harm to the fish. Prime will help control the toxic ammonia levels along with water changes. When the tank is cycled and seasoned, the danios can go into my community tank.
Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but our goals are similar and we both can post results to this thread.

Good Luck,
Taurus

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds great but you forgot something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PICS MAN <WHERE ARE THE PICS!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

terrapin24h
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Chris-
I got my new ten gallon kit going today. The filter is a Whisper 5-15 with an aquaclear sponge over the intake. I wrapped the floss frame with polyester batting that I buy at wally world cheap. The Whisper comes with an internal sponge too. I had an older 50w Jager heater and set it to 73 degrees. I went with a thin layer of black gravel for substrate. The kit came with a hood that takes two incandecent bulbs, but I removed those and found 3 watt flourecent bulbs that put out 20 watts each. There is a diffuser covering them so the lighting is not too bright at all. I don't want to much algae. I'm going to get some java moss growing on a rock this week. My tank is going to be a red cherry shrimp and snail heaven.
I did run the Whisper filter on my 20 long for about a week and took some gravel from that tank and placed it in a small cup in under the filter intake.
And I did spend the extra money for a seachem ammonia meter so I don't have to buy ammonia tests kits. I'm also using Prime for chlorine, heavy metal, and ammonia control. I'm using three danios to cycle the tank and have done this before without any harm to the fish. Prime will help control the toxic ammonia levels along with water changes. When the tank is cycled and seasoned, the danios can go into my community tank.
Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but our goals are similar and we both can post results to this thread.

Good Luck,
Taurus

No harm, no foul Tarus. I'm taking a slightly different route than you on cycling(i'm going fishless) But i did move gravel over from my 30(same gravel as what i put in the new tank) My ammonia is sticking at 4.0 for over a week now, so I suspect it's gonna be a while :) I'm going to move my decor around a while, and hit the new tank with a bio wheel scraping again tonight.

--chris

Taurus
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
There should be no harm to the danios. I've used enough material from my established 20g to start a bacterial bloom already. The ammonia level should be controlled by use of Prime and water changes. Prime converts ammonia into ammonium, a less toxic form that still feeds and builds the biofilter. The danios will keep the bioload up and maintain the biofilter. I'll have some bacterial die off when I move the danios out and the shrimp in. My cyle should go faster, with no harm to the danios, with this method. Time will tell. To be safe, I won't introduce any shrimp for at least two months...hmmm...that will be around Christmas time.
I'm not saying my method is better, just different. IMHO, Prime is the conditioner of choice for the first six months of the start and establish period for a new tank. From what I've read on the internet, it's the conditioner of choice for a dwarf shrimp, invert tank.
Anyway..good luck with your tank Chris. thumbs2:

terrapin24h
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah, i use prime in all the tanks, and am even in the shrimpy tank. The last cycle i did I used fish so i thought i'd give this a go. At the end of the day, doesn't really make a diff, so long as the cycle gets goin :)

--chris

Taurus
10-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I got some Java Moss started in the new tank this week. The last LFS in the area is closing, so the owner gave me some from the tanks he still has going.
Owner is planning on closing at the end of November. Petco has put two LFS under in the last six months. I still have the owner's number so I still have access to his knowledge. I'll miss the lower prices on supplies.

On that note, I did a supply order through aquariumguys. The shipping costs are steep, but the supplies arrived in four days all in great condition.