PDA

View Full Version : Left out . . .

sPuD
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I have 3 clown loaches. They were good buddies . . . up till now.
Two of them, the biggest and the smallest still stay together but the other one stays hidden in the bog wood all the time. Why would he suddenly go into hidding now?

BigMac
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm by no means a Loach expert.. but they do like to be in groups.

Mine hide alot and I have 8. When I had less 4 I could only see maybe one or two at a time. Now there is always a little action near where they hide as a large group. You'll see three or 4 cruising the rocks and wood, poking into every little nook and cranny.

The funny thing about mine is they still school with my cory cats.

Mvjnz
10-08-2008, 01:12 AM
If it used to be active and now it's not, chances are there's something wrong with it.

BigMac
10-08-2008, 03:15 AM
maybe.. I have one that really likes to hide.

He's behind the suction cups for my power head. He'll be swimming with other loaches and then he splits???

Maybe the other two are now a pair? How mature are these loaches?

W_Oz
10-08-2008, 07:39 AM
It's odd for the middle loach of a trio to go AWOL. It's true they do love the companionship of their ilk and I'd recommend getting some more, but a trio would do fine for a number of years and adding to the troupe is easy since you can add fish of pretty much any size and they'll get along fine.

I'd keep an eye on the loner, if he looks like he's getting sick or starts acting strange (for a Clown Loach) I'd start fixin' him up straight away.

If he's fine, he may have just had a little "falling out" and will be back in with the other two before too long.

sPuD
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I just noticed that hiws tail and top fin is slightly tatty. . . could this be other fish nipping at his tail.
Alos could he be stuck in the bog wood, as i never see him at all any more, unless i shine a torch into one of the holes in the wood.

The clown loaches are not that big - ranging from 5cm to 7cm to 8cm.
I don't really want to get more as it may become too crowded as i know clown loaches tend to grow biggish!

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I have loaches that are out and about all the time but I have 2 that remain hidden the better part of the day. Loaches are nocturnal and I assume they are all out at night.

sPuD
10-09-2008, 05:16 AM
thanks lady hobbs, that makes me feel a loy better! The clown loaches are my favorite and i really didn't want any to die.

angelcakes
10-09-2008, 07:38 AM
the bigger clowns get the more they tend to hide......my smaller ones are out all the time and the bigger of mine like to chill out in my decor