PDA

View Full Version : Tank Set Up

shiv
10-05-2008, 03:23 AM
What is the best tank setup for Arowanas?Bare tank or planted?
Please help....

AABatteries
10-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Hmmmmm... I honestly have no clue but, I would have to say something in between.

Dave66
10-05-2008, 03:49 AM
A very large, planted aquarium. Surface area is most important to arowana, so a long, wide, well-planted tank is the best environment for them. Largest tank you can site, please. Something like four times the fish's adult length by two times its length.
Remember, they need a LOT of surface area, not to mention pristine water conditions and rock-solid stability.

Dave

Demjor19
10-06-2008, 02:32 PM
A very large, planted aquarium. Surface area is most important to arowana, so a long, wide, well-planted tank is the best environment for them. Largest tank you can site, please. Something like four times the fish's adult length by two times its length.
Remember, they need a LOT of surface area, not to mention pristine water conditions and rock-solid stability.

Dave

This pretty much sums it up! While were at it we might as well mention that an adult silver arowana is capable of reaching 30-36 inches...sometimes even more. Awesome fish, but they demand a very large tank. I would recommend a minimum tank size for an adult silver arowana to be somewhere around an 8 x 3 foot footprint. I'm assuming we are talking about the silver arowana...

donvichu
10-08-2008, 02:17 AM
For asian arowanas and australian(jardini) you would need a tank of 5ft x 2ft x 2ft......the base gravel has to be smooth medium sized pebbles....you plant the tank but mind arowanas grow big and they uproot the plants......for a silver arowana a min of 6 to 8 ft tank is mandatory....also mind the thickness of glass...it has to be atleast 18mm thick...cos my one foot jardini broke the tank which had 12mm thick glass.....one external filter is mandatory probably dolphin c1600......donot use UGF...tough to clean.All the best...:c2: :19: