PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Plattys and new Sailfin Platty?

Full3R
01-05-2007, 12:49 AM
If i wanted to breed one colour of plattys such as red could i buy a male and a female red platty and breed them and would i only get red???

Also today i bought a male Coldwater platty with a much larger dorsal fin then usualy is there such thing as sailfin plattys?

Fishguy2727
01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Those are hifin platies, same species as normals (no such thing as cold water platy). All platies are cool water, so room temp is fine, but they are also fine in warmer temps. When mine were growing and breeding like crazy they were in an unheated 10 gallon. The genetics are crazy on these guys with all those colors, so I am not sure but I would be surprised if you got only reds.

Full3R
01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
oh, well it just shocked me to see such a hifin on it, we also have guppies at room tempreture but these ones are no way as colourful as the warm water ones ive seen though they do have blues red orange colours on them they are mainly brown

Fishguy2727
01-05-2007, 03:27 AM
The 'warm water' ones are the same species, no different. There is not a warm water and cold water version, they are the same type of fish. Both are fine at room temp or in heated tanks.