PDA

View Full Version : oops...killed some shrimp with fertilizing.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Fertilized my tank last night. Got my nitrates up to 5ppm or so and this morning i see a bunch lying on their sides.

Was it the jump from 0ppm to 5ppm that killed them or just the overall total ppm?

I ran a test this morning and noticed my nitrates are back down to 0 so something(my plants must be using it up) I'd like to fertilize again but don't want to kill them.

Algenco
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM
no fertz! you can go very light

PUNISHER VETTE
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't know what to do then. I guess i'll slowly add ferts every day instead of once a week.

It looks like most aren't actually dead but more dying. Lying on their sides. I'll do a water change to see if i can save them.

W_Oz
09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
It was the shock of adding so much NO3 to the water in one shot that likely did it. When attempting to get any nutrient into the water column at a desired level its always best to achieve that level over the course of a week or so. THough if your plants are chewing up 5ppm of NO3 over night, you've got quite a mountain to climb and might need to dose your tank several times a day to get to where you want.

Remeber that Shrimp are sensetive to NO2/NO3 levels, more so than your fish in most cases. It isn't that they can't tollerate 5ppm, just not a sudden jump.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
i ran another nitrate test and it came up better. I knew my plants couldn't use up that much in 1 night...

It isn't at 0ppm like my fist test but is more up to 5ppm still. A little lighter then the test last night when I added the nutrients but still up there.

I'll definitely never add a lot at once again but at least i found out they're sensitive to nutrients. I always figured they live in planted tanks so aren't too sensitive to nutrients.