PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs and Gouramis

Severus
01-03-2007, 06:06 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank with just 2 gouramis(4" blue and 4" Pink Kissing) and one very peaceful 6" Jack Dempsey. I was wondering if i bought a school of tiger barbs (around 6) would there be any problems with aggression? Would the barbs try and nip my JD's fins? I know the barbs will be the smallest members of the tank but i figured with a school and my fish being as weird as they are it might work out alright. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot

crackatinny
01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I tried the old, buy a school of at least 6 tiger barbs theory, result was 1 balloon molly with the fin nipped clean off, I stuck them in with my convicts and after a day or so of trying to take over, they calmed down, found 2 of the bards dead in the 1st couple of days, but the remaining 4 have been in there about a month now, and only fight between themselves, in the comunity tank I replaced the barbs with black widows, these are similar in appearance, look better if anything

Severus
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM
ok, thanks for the help. Anyone else have any opinions. I guess i might just have to try it and see how things work out. Depends on the fish really

Full3R
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
i had a 20gal with 1 blue gourami, 1 dwarf gourami, 8 tiger barbs and a couple of plattys and swordtails ages ago and some other fish and the tiger barbs kept to them self, not a aproblem with them ever, apart from the fighting within their species every now and agen

Severus
01-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Yea, i think i am going to try it. Thanks for all the help