PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp Q

rainbowfish
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know the light requirements for ghost shrimp? I just bought 20 and they're in my unlit 5.5 gallon betta tank right now due to my recent 29 gallon tank install in the old home of the beta tank. I am thinking I should work things out to get them in my lit 10 gallon planted tank, but I have to figure out where to put my black skirt tetra, probably in the new 29 gallon tank, but the only thing is that the new tank is a shallow water type display, I guess similar to a vivarium, only about 6 inches of water in the tank. I don't have a real vision for that tank at the moment but I know I'm on the right track. It has a male betta, 3 fancy guppys, and a fry sub tank in it. The really cool feature of it it the filter I have set up for it makes a kind of waterfall effect, which land rights on this piece of driftwood shored up against this cool rock. Anyway...

teach
08-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I dont think there is much of a light req. for ghost shrimp. Ive kept them in everything from my 55gal with regular florecent lights to a fish bowl with no light except for the room light. From what you explain I think it will be ok. Just watch out bettas like to eat shrimp.

rainbowfish
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I moved the beta tank next to the 10 gallon tank this morning. It should be getting some ambient light now from the plant tank, although I had to move my wifes jewelery box to make space which I doubt will go over well...:14:
The beta has been leaving them alone so far, but I keep him well fed and exercised:c3:

TRDNiteLife
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
They don't need light as far as I know. Mine actually had growth spurts while I had the light off for 10 days during an Ich treatment. When I turned the light back on they were as big as some of my fish.

rainbowfish
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Interesting... they almost look like they would be one of those cave dwelling type animals that don't even have eyes, if you know what I'm talking about...

TRDNiteLife
09-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Since we were talking about Ghost Shrimp...I was cleaning my Rena canister filter and found two Ghost Shrimp living in there. They've survived for over three months in there. Amazing.

korith
09-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Since we were talking about Ghost Shrimp...I was cleaning my Rena canister filter and found two Ghost Shrimp living in there. They've survived for over three months in there. Amazing.

Wow! It's amazing they lived in there especially considering all the flow through it. Was reading a thread somewhere where someone put a tank with some water in it away for 3 months, and when they took it out, it was full of ghost shrimp.