PDA

View Full Version : Please Verify This Levamisole Hydrochloride

TRDNiteLife
08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I have four Clown Loaches with one starting to lose weight rapidly. After doing much research I believe he has Skinny Loach disease. It seems everyone has been recommending the AgriLabs Levamisole (http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/2732.aspx). Every online vendor I tried appears to be out of stock and on manufacturer's backorder. I found this one (http://www.vetmeddirect.com/Levamisole-Soluble-Pig-Wormer-Powder-2017-gm--pr--0160131?utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=cpc) - Levamisole Hydrochloride is a broad-spectrum anthelmintic and is effective against the following nematode infections in swine:Large Roundworms: (Ascaris suum). Nodular Worms: (Oesophagostomum spp.) Lungworms: (Metastrongylus spp.) Intestinal Threadworms: (Strongyloides ransomi.) For use in drinking water.

Same thing, right? Levamisole is levamisole. I'm just being overly cautious, but I've never used it before. Thanks in advance.

Alfcea
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Hello there,

Yes, basically, levamisole hydrochloride is pure levamisole. Many medications -for fish as well as for humans- are sold as the hydrochloride because it is easier to handle these compounds (hydrochlorides are crystals whereas the pure compound may not be solid) than the "pure" compound. Also, the pure compound could be easily oxidazable and to protect it, they make the hydrochloride.... These hydrochlorides upon contact with water (basically, after administration to human or fish) form back the "pure" compound...

So, in short, your answer is yes.

Are you sure you need to treat your tank with this medication, though? I'm not an expert, but I strongly believe that the less medications, the better... unless there's no other way around it...

If you do decide to treat your tank, you'll need to remove the medication after treatment. The best way to do this is with activated carbon (charcoal) in your filter.

TRDNiteLife
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't like using chemicals either. I recently battled ich successfully using only the heat and salt treatment. After researching my new situation, mostly on Loach forums, I've come to conclusion that the Levamisole will be the most effective treatment. I'm also trying some anti-parasite medicated food.