PDA

View Full Version : Will my shrimp get eaten in this tank?

Matthew13
08-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Hello! I am completely new to the forums and all of this. I was just wondering about the safety of a Ghost Shrimp if I put it in a warm-water aquarium that also contains one adult female Guppy, a calico fantail Goldfish with a body length of 2 inches, and three Glass Catfish with the largest one being 3 inches in length.

I am planning on buying 4 or 5 Ghost Shrimp. I am only going to have them in this aquarium temporarily, only a week or two. After that I need them for another purpose, but I need to know if they will survive being in this aquarium.

Im worried most about the Ghost Catfish because I believe that they are a somewhat predatory fish. I am also worried that the goldfish with its unending appetite may try to eat the shrimp.
Thanks!!!

Fishguy2727
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Fantail goldfish are usually too slow to catch them and the glass catfish are pretty mellow, I would be surprised if you had any issues with the glass cats.

As a side note though, the guppies and goldfish would do better in room temperature and because of that should not really be in with tropical fish ideally.

TRDNiteLife
08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I would say it also depends on the size of the shrimp. I have two Ghost Shrimp with Clown Loaches, Mollies, Guppies, Platies, and Rasboras and they are fine. They don't hide and no one bothers them.

W_Oz
08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Provide somewhere for the shrimp to escape such as a moss covered overhang in a small space and even if something does start to harras them they will have somewhere to hide.

Lady Hobbs
08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe/Maybe not. The only disadvantage (other than babies getting eaten) to having shrimp in with fish is the shrimp spend all their time hiding and you never see them.

Mine are now with black neons and gold tetra's that are very small.....neon size....and I see a bit more of them but I never saw them with larger tetra's in the tank and all the babies disappeared.

robnepper
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Gold fish are extremely sneaky! Mine would definately been capable of snapping up an unsuspecting Ghosty.

Matthew13
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Okay, thank you! I'll make sure I give them a place to hide.