PDA

View Full Version : What do Barbs look like?

Abbeys_Mom
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
What do Barbs (Tiger Barbs) look like when they hatch. I spawned my Moss Barbs in a small tank a few days ago. Now there are things on the glass, but they don't look like fish. They are not worms. They don't move much and if I were to describe them, I would say they look like little beige fish poops. Stringy, beige and slightly curved. I read that newly hatch barbs look like shards of glass with eyes, so are they barbs or something else?

Abbeys_Mom
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I tried to get a picture but there is no way. I have determined that they are alive. They move when you shine a flash light on them. I also pulled one out of the tank and had a close look. There appears to be eyes on it and it reminds me a little of a shrimp. They are a pale gold colour out of water. I am pretty sure they are fry, I guess we will see in a few days.

Dave66
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
They are barb fry, Abbeys Mom. They stick on the glass and hard surfaces soon after hatching while they absorb their egg sacks. When they do they will be free swimming and must be fed. Infusoria, specifically Paramecium, must be cultured right now if you want to save any fry. Green (algae) water may do in a pinch until you get the Paramecia going. My culture manual has how to on fry foods like infusoria.

Dave

Tolley
08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgo75NyTG4

My cherry barbs, could help you.