PDA

View Full Version : Should I have more than one Arulius Barb?

copper_eos
08-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello, I currently have one Arulius Barb. I talked to the fish expert at my local petstore says I'm better off with just one because this type of fish favor better water quality over company of other Arulius Barbs/fish. I know these are schooling fish and he says this is true but they are okay by themselves as long as their water quality is good and would even prefer being alone if it means the water quality stays good. I was going to buy at least two more which would have been a $10 sale but he talked me out of it. I've done a lot of research on these fish but now I'm not sure what to believe. Does anyone know if this is true or have any advice for me?

xximanoobxx
08-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Nope, you need to get 6 or more... they get stressed if they're alone

angelcakes
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
agreed with above ^^^^^^^^

copper_eos
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
He seems fairly calm right now he was pretty curious this morning chasing the siphon around while I was vacuuming the tank. I plan on upgrading to a larger tank, 20 gallons or more. I was wondering other than the Arulius Barbs what other fish would you suggest adding?

abaigael04
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
5 more of the same fish- if tank size permits. How big of a tank is he in now? Maybe that is what the guy meant- if your tank is to small for a group? I would get as many more of the same as your tank allows until you upgrade to the 20 - then make sure you have 6+ of them.
Edit: get as many as you can to diffuse agression. Also- I read they get to be 5"? That seems like a big fish for a smaller tank considering they like to swim a lot.

copper_eos
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Right now he is in a 5 gallon tank and he is about 1.5 inches in size. He seems to be doing fine in this tank right now but I can tell he will need a larger one pretty soon. I would like to add some variety to the tank though so I was wondering if anyone else has this type of fish and what else they would suggest putting in the tank? I know Neons are not a good idea and other barbs are fine. Any other suggestions? Also is a 20 gallon too small or should it be fine?

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
It sounds like you need at least a 30 with really good filtration.Especially if you want 6 of these.The more room they have the better they will get along., even if they are schooling fish.
A 5 gallon tank is good for 1 Beta.

What no pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

copper_eos
01-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Just a follow up. My Arulius Barb ended up in a 26 gallon tank. For right now it seems big enough for him and he has plenty of room to swim around. If he gets to the max 5 inches though he will have to get a tank upgrade. I ended up getting Rosy Barbs to cycle the new 26 gallon tank and decided to add the Arulius Barb too see what happened. He appears to school with the Rosy's (as much as the Rosy's school) and actually seems less nervous having them around.

The Arulius Barb is a really great fish whenever I'm sitting near the tank he will swim and dance in front of me. Seems like a very friendly social fish. I've noticed he will swim just underneath the Rosy's and likes to check out what they are doing. The Rosy's are also great fish... super curious and bold. When vacuuming the tank they will be right there investigating the vacuum rather than hiding and swimming away.