PDA

View Full Version : How do i clean a tank with cherry shimp in it?

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I was thinking about using my python but i have super tiny shrimp i don't want to suck up.

Should i put a sponge on the thing? I guess i could just suck water out without getting one but then i can't clean the gravel at all.

toddnbecka
08-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I used a smaller diameter siphon and hose, and checked the bucket closely for stray shrimp before dumping it. It also helps to limit the depth of the gravel bed, and keep the siphon as close to the glass bottom as possible. Most of the shrimp will move away as the siphon comes near, but there's always a few tiny ones that get sucked up.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I used a smaller diameter siphon and hose, and checked the bucket closely for stray shrimp before dumping it. It also helps to limit the depth of the gravel bed, and keep the siphon as close to the glass bottom as possible. Most of the shrimp will move away as the siphon comes near, but there's always a few tiny ones that get sucked up.

That's a good point. I didn't think about just using a bucket instead of dumping it into my sink with the rest of the water.

I'll see if i have a hose that's smaller and it'll be better anyway since i can clean in the smaller areas.

Sounguru
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I use a python stick the hose all the way into the gravel and turn it on.... I don't worry about trying to clean all the gravel, between the MTS and the shrimp they do a good job of that.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Also can anyone tell me how many shrimp could go in a tiny beta bowl? Probably a 1/2 gallon or less with a plant growing out the top.
Looks like this
http://k.b5z.net/i/u/6050557/i/beta.jpg

My sister has two of these and i would think a tiny shrimp in there would help out a little with waste and things. But maybe they aren't compatible?

Abbeys_Mom
08-23-2008, 06:31 PM
"Cherry Shrimp" would become "Betta Snacks"

Sounguru
08-23-2008, 06:41 PM
The adults would be picked to death and the babes would be lunch....

toddnbecka
08-24-2008, 04:59 AM
I've seen those setups, the (Completely WRONG) theory is that the betta will live just fine by eating the plant roots. Aside from the smple fact that bettas aren't vegetarians, the only thing I'd stock in that sort of bowl is snails.

Garrity828
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
And Bettas need to get oxygen from the surface of the water, and with the plant in the way it makes it harder to get oxygen

PUNISHER VETTE
08-24-2008, 08:29 PM
And Bettas need to get oxygen from the surface of the water, and with the plant in the way it makes it harder to get oxygen

The plants she has aren't nearly as big as the opening so i think there's gaps for the fish.

I decided NOT to give her any shrimp even though i think if i gave her a really big one it should hold it's own with her lazy fish.