PDA

View Full Version : Question

Lady Hobbs
08-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Do shrimp need a filter?

Sounguru
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Do shrimp need a filter?

Lordy.. ( I always wanted to say that) Yes they need a filter. Sponge filters are the best for them since shrimp make very little bio load and the babies won't get sucked into it....

Drip Loop
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
They are VERY suceptable to water parameters so for that reason alone I say yes. They do not require anything more than a simple sponge filter though.

Lady Hobbs
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I figured as much and already put a sponge filter in for them. I needed my bigger filter for another tank today so stole from them. :)

Thanks guys.

Fishalicious
08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Everyone says they need a filter...but... and don't try this at home kids...I moved what I thought were all the shrimp from one tank to another and being the lazy lady I can be sometimes took the filter, heating out along with the shrimp and switched off the light. 2 months later I need the tank for some fry and I switch the light on to get it all cleaned and much to my suprise it was crawling with shrimp... I must have missed some babies (you know how tiny they are) What they ate I will never know but they grew up healthy and were beautifully colored and that after having sat in water that had not been cleaned or filtered for 2 months.... they are now happily swimming with the other shrimpies. They were cherry shrimp.

toddnbecka
08-08-2008, 05:22 AM
I have read that shrimp can be kept in a tank w/out any filter or food other than dead leaves. Not only do they feed on the leaves (as well as whatever grows on them) but the leaves also break down ammonia and nitrite, can't remember whether they had any impact on nitrate. Only thing is, not many folks want to look at a bare tank full of dead leaves and shrimp.

Sounguru
08-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Ghost shrimp and Cherry Shrimp (and others of the Cherry family) maybe your fancier varities need certain water conditions.

southerndesert
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
A healthy matured tank with a established and healthy bio filter whether added in sponge form or other mechanical means or natural will support a shrimp colony.

That said the key to keeping freshwater shrimp is very clean and chemical free water. The smallest traces of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal so having a sponge filter is highly recommended to support a healthy colony of nitrifing bacteria. Also they are baby shrimp safe.... The bacteria that does the cycling of wastes in your tank need oxygenated water and a source of ammonia and nitrite to survive so once established will do a fine job.

Bill