PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Kuhli and Clown loach?

Antikaratekid
08-06-2008, 12:09 AM
I was wondering which is more lively and better for beginners?

richberstler
08-06-2008, 12:35 AM
I was wondering which is more lively and better for beginners?

Clown....

But personally I will always pick Kuhli. Their eel like look is cool, but they spend most of the time hiding during the day.

Billythefish
08-06-2008, 12:41 AM
clowns are harder to keep and your tank would be too small mate and i'd not get them when the tank is new as yours

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Clowns get very large. Kuhli's would be much better or even corys.

richberstler
08-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Clowns get very large. Kuhli's would be much better or even corys.

wow, I know i forgot to mention clowns get large, but i'm still surprised everyone is suggesting Kuhlis. But Hobbs is completely right, cory is the way to go for active and small size.

I guess I was misled that my folks clown loach never got too big, but then again they never specially fed for bottom feeders so it probably grew too slowly.

Definitely if you can handle seeing a Kuhli maybe once/twice a week, it's worth getting.

lol sorry for the apparent bad advice.

doug z
08-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Those kuhli loaches freak me out..

Just sayin'..

I second the cory vote..

Cute lil' fellas.

Mvjnz
08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
There are smaller loaches than the clown loach, such as the zebra loach, polka dot loach and my personal fav, the pakistani loach (aka yoyo loach)

Neither of them get very big, and they are all very entertaining fish.

Gemstone
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I vote for the kuhli...*S*...they have given us lots of entertainment in the evenings...

angelcakes
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
i vote with the khuli loaches...........as the clowns get big

Jacko
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Kuhli loaches here, when kept in a nice big school they are freaking awesome. They do like sand though, but all loaches should be kept on sand.

Unless you have a large (125-150 or more) tank then I'd rule out the clown loaches, while they grow slowly they still grow and a 14 inch fish in a school of 5 of them would be a hard thing to keep in a small tank. ;)

Masala
08-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I dunno... I have a clown in a 29g FW that I've had for over a year, and he seems quite happy and healthy. I even have gravel for my substrate!

KrytterKrys
08-30-2008, 06:20 PM
def kuhli..they stay small an are neat to watch in schools especially!

CAllain
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I go with Kuhlis... I love how they wiggle around the tank, and it's always fun to try playing "spot the kuhli" when they're hiding.

Clown loaches do grow big, and are usually stunted in aquariums, so unless you can get upwards of 125G I wouldn't recommend them.

nwnittany
09-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I have Kuhli's and yo-yo's and like 'em both.

Like others have pointed out, Kuhli's like to hide during the day, so you won't see alot of them. But, they are a blast when they are out. Silly little guys !

I really wanted a clown loach, but they just get too big (even though they grow slowly, I don't have definitive plans to get a bigger tank, so I passed).

The yo-yo's are a blast, too. They are out a bit more than the Kuhli's. As an added bonus, they are snail eaters.

BigMac
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I chose Zebras... The clowns would get too big.

They are neet little guys. I have 8 and there is almost always two or 3 cruising the tank.

I have plants and NO smails.... Imagain that 8 loaches 7 corys and no snails... its unatural I tell you ;)

W_Oz
10-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd also toss in a vote for the Zebra Loach or Cory Cats for your viewing pleasure. While I do believe Clowns are about the most amusing fish I've ever kept, they do have some steep housing requirements.

For whatever its worth Clowns take a while to get big. I have some clowns right now that when I bought them 5 years ago they were, ballpark, 1" long, about the length of the average Neon Tetra that I see in my LFS. They were all the same size when I bought them, but now the head lady is shy of 4" with the rest of her budz getting smaller on down the pecking order. They're also a relatively hearty fish once they're established in a tank. They survived the poor care of a friend while I was gone for nearly a year apparently none the worse for ware, though the tank was a mess by the time I got home.

They do get quite large for an aquarium fish ultimately if well kept and are extremely long lived.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
kuhlis are cool but hard to keep in a tank.Everyone I know have them are always trying to find escape cracks and holes to fix.I guess its good for those who like to tinker!:c2:
Can corys and loaches go together?

BigMac
10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
They are together in my tank and actually school and feed together.

If a loach is poking out of a hole and a cory swims by, the loach will almost always join in.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Sounds like fun to watch!:19:

Wheres the pics, that would also make for great video!!

BigMac
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I actually tried to take pics of my loaches schooling with my corys. The darn things swim too fast.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
lol Try video, if you can!:19:

BigMac
10-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I will try to get that video. I have a really good camera, that I never use.

I just lost a 300 dollar digital. My wifes of course.

mac
10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi,
Right to through a spanner in the works.

Most people I know on forums and friends who keep fish dont see much of their Kulie Loaches through the day time.

The reason for this is because most people dont set up the tank right for these wonderfully active fish.

I find that they are much easier to look after than Corys and much more active than Corys. But you will only notice this if you set the tank up right.

First you need to have a very fine gravel for them to dive into for cover. But you dont want any shard small grade gravile. You want very smooth, tiny rounds pepleds around 1-2mm in diamitor. Once you have this you will want to get a lot of plants. But the plants are a hard thing for most people. One they will normally get to amny tall plants and hardly any ground coveing plants like grasses.

What you want to do is have the back of the tank planted with tall plants with small pieces of drift wood set-up in a way to make small caves. Then surround these caves with grass and other plants.

That way when they Kulies feel threatened they ar e able to one dive under the ground, secont dash into the grass, or thirdly run into their caves.

By setting up your tank this way you will be able to enjoin watching these wonderful Eel like fish swim al-over the tank. But mind you these fish still do need some room. I would suggest a minimum tank size of 20 gallons.

So I must say that Corys are nothing like Kulies. They are slow and dull in comparison.

mac
10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I dunno... I have a clown in a 29g FW that I've had for over a year, and he seems quite happy and healthy. I even have gravel for my substrate!

Hi Masala,
Did you know that you should never keep Clown Loaches in a tank smaller than 100 gallons. 29 gallons is just far to small. For one these fish can grow up to 15+inches. Also they can live past 20 years if housed in a proper tank. And another thing you say you only have one. Well clown Loaches live in schools and they feel more at home in a school. Are you planning to up grade your tank soon and getting more Clown Loaches? If not remove him from the tank and give him to some-one who has a tank of the right size for them, before it is to late to stop the poor fish from being stunted and living a hard cruel life.

macquatic