PDA

View Full Version : 1st tank ( 6 gallon): How can I make a tank for loaches?

Antikaratekid
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey guys! These fish look like eels and I have heard they have alot of personality so I am planning a 6 gallon-er. Though I am unsure as to the proper aquascape for them.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/rate-my-tank-freshwater/26016-6-gal-planted-eclipse.html

This seemed inspiring but I have heard loaches like sand and stuff so am thinking that this is not appropriate.

Any advice or experiences? Thanks!!

Billythefish
08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
i would have sand plants and caves for them... thay are cool lil things and dont get to big 3''ish.. you may also try and put a see through plastic pipe under the sand up against the front glass panel so you can see them sleeping in it.. ive seen it on a frends tank it's cool:c12:

Luna
08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Not in a 6 gallon tank. They are active fish, so need lots of room taht a 6 gallon tank cannot provide. They also need to be in groups of at least 4, and that would overstock your tank by double for most loaches.

check out http://www.loaches.com

I really think a 6 gallon tank is perfect for a betta (like the one pictured) or dwarf gourami and maybe 2 or 3 shrimp.

graceluvsplatys
08-06-2008, 12:59 AM
yeah i would get a bit bigger one for any loach.

Antikaratekid
08-06-2008, 01:05 AM
ok then say I get a 12 gallon tank then, its within my budget

is that good enough?

Billythefish
08-06-2008, 01:11 AM
ok then say I get a 12 gallon tank then, its within my budget

is that good enough?not for clowns mate thay can get to 10''

Antikaratekid
08-06-2008, 01:13 AM
kuhlis are smaller i heard

irishdannyk
08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
i used to have a small dojo loach that i gave away, it was about 4" long and would burrow into the gravel. its not the most active loach out there but it would fit in a 6gal.

Luna
08-06-2008, 03:11 AM
It's not about the fish "fitting" in a 6 or 12 gallon. It needs the appropriate space and school.

All loaches need to be in groups of at least four. The average loach species grows to between 4 and 8 inches. Clown loaches can grow past 12 inches. Do the math. That is at least 16 inches of fish. They need room to swim and be active. They are nocturnal, so you will rarely see their active nature in daylight hours. The recommended tank size for all loaches is at least 30 gallons.

The best thing you can ever learn in the fishkeeping hobby is to plan for what you have, not what you want. That means tank size, water parameters, available species, etc.

I know this all sounds a bit brash, but the hobby is much more enjoyable when you keep fish appropriate to your tank. They will be healthier and more active when they have the right tank size and so on. Honestly, you can have a wonderful and interesting tank with the "boring" fish.

Mvjnz
08-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Kuhlii loaches are the only loaches I would put in that sized tank, and only if they are the only bottom dwellers in the tank. They need a sand substrate and heaps of hiding places, like small holes and caves where they can squeeze in together. They are shy and mostly nocturnal tho so you might not see them a lot. And you need a group of at least 5.

I see mine about once a month or so.

Luna
08-07-2008, 03:21 AM
*bangs head against wall*

5 x 4 = 20 > 12

Jacko
08-07-2008, 06:11 AM
I have to agree with Luna here, you're tank is not large enough for any loaches. Kuhli loaches, when kept in good conditions and good sized groups are extremely active, zooming from one end of the tank to the other. A 12 gallon tank is not big enough for 4...that's a bit small of a number sdo let's say 6 5 inch fish zooming around. Even though they are thin they still have a fair amount of bioload and stunting could well be a problem, yes they are a loaches and yes they do grow slower but they do still grow.

Some people say the inch per gallon rule is balogne, while in some sense it is, it still works great for stocking smaller tnaks with smaller fish. The reason most people give is a 10 inch oscar can't fit in a 10 gallon tank.

i used to have a small dojo loach that i gave away, it was about 4" long and would burrow into the gravel. its not the most active loach out there but it would fit in a 6gal.

Whatever you do, do not get a dojo/weather loach, these things get 12 inches and when kept properly, are active and very voracious. While better in single/pairs than other loaches, that doesn't excuse the fact that they get big and are cold water tanks.

Sorry for the long post and the harshness, but I would not be looking into the loach species for a 12 gallon tank. If you like the eel look maybe check out some of the gobies or if you can find them the Schistura genus of loaches stay 4 inches and the males are aggressive towards one another so 1 or 2 would work in that tank.

Zebradanio12
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
You could put chain loaches in eather size tank.

Mvjnz
09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I agree with everyone who's saying no loaches. The tank is too small. You need to consider the wellbeing of the fish over 'what you want'.

If you really want loaches you can get a bigger tank later on, but for now stick with fish that would be happy in your tank.