PDA

View Full Version : Motm And Mod,otm

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Hay how about a mod of the month comp? It would give the every day member a better chance of winning member of the month... What ya think :14:

gm72
07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Personally I don't like the idea of a ModOTM. The entire Mod team performs very well in his/her respective jobs and the vast majority of it is unseen by the general membership. I don't think we deserve any extra credit unless William sees it fit.

cocoa_pleco
07-31-2008, 01:04 AM
i kinda like it, we would need more regular mods to be worth it though

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 01:21 AM
I just think the mods have a better chance of wining MOTM because all the hard work you do.. But it sort of makes it harder for the every day jo to win dont it.. Damn if cocoa cant beat a mod then what chance do newish members have.. And it would be fun to see who wins mod'otm each month.. And maybe have it so the mods can win every month not limit it to one a year.

gm72
07-31-2008, 01:30 AM
The other problem I see is that there are only 5 Mods. Some of the less active Mods would never win whereas very active Mods like Lady Hobbs would always be at the forefront.

I still think the only one who can really judge what the Mods are doing would be William.

However, I think I can speak on behalf of the team and thank you for the thoughtfulness. Very cool in that regard!

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 01:43 AM
I see what you mean gm72 only 5 mods ect.. I dont see it as a bad thing tho it just means the mods have a better chance of wining it... I see it more of a way to show a mod are appreciation and give members a better chance in MOTM at the same time.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-31-2008, 01:56 AM
But if you look at the statistics Billy, out of 7 months, only 3 of the mods have won MOTM, William one once and the other 3 were all regular members. Each person can only win it once a year anyway and as gm mentioned, there are some mods that are not as active as others, so it all really evens out in the end anyway.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Re Goldbarb: That also means only 12 out of 1000's of mebers can win MOTM tho.. So if for nothing els it would help in that way maybe.

Red
07-31-2008, 02:21 AM
to be honest i agree with what billy is saying... it would give us a better chance... even though the mods deserve it too..

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Sorry. I don't like it. The Mods are a team and a contest running constantly to pick the Mod of the Month sounds to me as it would pit one against the other. Also, some Mods can be here and contribute a lot more than others who have jobs, families and other obligations.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 02:28 AM
Isn't that the case in MOTM already lady hobbs ? :-)

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 02:31 AM
Yes, but the difference there is having 20-25 people to vote on not 5.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 02:42 AM
I get you but hay its just a bit of fun at the end of the day... Maybe the the poll will do the talking and have the idea given a go...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-31-2008, 02:43 AM
How can anyone have an advantage when we are the ones who do the voting and the nominating? Also, do we start a new POTM contest for those who have professional quality camera equipment because they have an advantage? Sorry, I guess I just don't see the point, this is a contest where we do the nominating and we do the voting. Each entrant is nominated by another member of the community, again, a completely fair arrangement. During each month we all have our opportunities to contribute to the community in one way or another and that is the basis by which we should nominate others. We, the regular members, only see a small amount of what the mods actually do, and they are added to the contest based on their visible contributions. Because most of what they do is behind the scenes, we would have no way to judge it and vote on it. MOTM is and should be based entirely on the visible contributions of each member, mod or not. Just the way I see it. :)

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Billy, what makes the other contests "interesting" is seeing how many vote for themselves. Can you imagine having a mod contest the same way? 5 entries all with 5 votes. Who would advance to finals? All 5.

LOL

Fortunately, the contests are decided by William and the Mod team and not the membership.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 02:54 AM
Goldbarb you would say that you have won MOTM already and rightly so (imo).. just as you say mods do a grand job around here more than the every day member hence more chance of wining dont you think?

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Billy, what makes the other contests "interesting" is seeing how many vote for themselves. Can you imagine having a mod contest the same way? 5 entries all with 5 votes. Who would advance to finals? All 5.

LOL

Fortunately, the contests are decided by William and the Mod team and not the membership.
Lol lady in my grand idea every mod and william would be voted for by the mebers not the mods and no need to have the nomination thing or even finals.. Just a poll for mod of the month the mod with the most votes wins ect easy!

ladyoutlaw50
07-31-2008, 03:17 AM
I see what you mean gm72 only 5 mods ect.. I dont see it as a bad thing tho it just means the mods have a better chance of wining it... I see it more of a way to show a mod are appreciation and give members a better chance in MOTM at the same time.

I do agree with Billythefish on this. I am sure something could be worked out!! Let's explore it a bit more before tossing the idea out!! Just my thoughts

William
07-31-2008, 03:47 AM
I do appriciate what you saying and can understand how mods can make it harder to Win MOTM. That said I will not introduce a MOD competition. We are to few mods to make that interesting ;-)

However I am more than open to other suggestions on how to make the competition more fair.

Ryuu
07-31-2008, 03:53 AM
Maybe seperate it into a few catogorys, such as posts from 0-1000, and 1000-3000, and so on, that way you know that the more experienced members have a higher post count? probably dumb sorry

sailor
07-31-2008, 03:53 AM
I think it is fine the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The mods do an outstanding job here already. There doesn't need to be a contest for MODOTM.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Ok william thats cool ;-) and that was my way of making it more fair so maybe other members will have a better idea.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Maybe seperate it into a few catogorys, such as posts from 0-1000, and 1000-3000, and so on, that way you know that the more experienced members have a higher post count? probably dumb sorry
Hay thats not a bad idea maybe if it was don like this- newbie MOTM & a MOTM people that have been here longer than a year or somthing

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 04:32 AM
Like someone would actually look up each member to see how many posts they've posted before they could nominate someone? Come on, guys. These contests are already hard enough. If there are ties in MOTM, both win MOTM so that means you just have to have more ties.

:)

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 04:37 AM
True i didnt think of that lady hobbs.. What would you do to make it more fair on all members?

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Billy, I can't think of a way to make it more fair because I find nothing wrong with it now. Like I can't find a way myself to ever win a picture competition. Some win and some lose and isn't that the way it is in any competition? I might win MOTM once a year but you might win POTM several times? It's just the way it is.

Those who win MOTM, can't enter for the rest of that year to make it more fair to others. It's like GoldenBarb said, we're into month 7 and only 3 Mods have won. Looks plenty fair to me. The winners are picked by the entire membership remember. It's their choice.

There's a good chance if no Mods were in the comps at all that someone else would still get the votes. I was knocked out in the Finals 4 months in a row by non-Mods. So being a Mod means beans in these comps.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 05:14 AM
Well given that we are in month 7 of 12 and the mods have 3 wins out of say a hand full of you and the normal members have 4 out of 1000's i'd say the mods have good odds on winning.. I'd love to know how many mods and how many normal mebers have won MOTM since it was started and if a newbie ever won or got to the final (by newbie i mean been here less than a year)

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 05:20 AM
Mods won 4 times in 2007. I can't go back into 2006 because the comps didn't start until August of that year. BTW.......in Sept of 2006, I won MOTM after being here one month and I was no Mod then. In fact, the 5 months of that year that we had comps, No Mods won other than William.

The whole listing is in the Winners Circle .......the stickie in Comps.

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 06:18 AM
Mods won 4 times in 2007. I can't go back into 2006 because the comps didn't start until August of that year. BTW.......in Sept of 2006, I won MOTM after being here one month and I was no Mod then. In fact, the 5 months of that year that we had comps, No Mods won other than William.

The whole listing is in the Winners Circle .......the stickie in Comps.
Cool going hobbs impressive from the start
:19:

smaug
07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
The mods carry alot of weight around here and I think thats fine as long as you all stay in check,so far you have and I think you all do a great job.However,because of the general high regard mods seem to be in they seem to get alot of extra consideration when it comes to motm votes.Billys idea is a good one with one exception.Mods should be excluded from all competitions because of there position.it is already such a prestigious position to be in as it is,the rank should be all the reward that is neccesary.

Fishalicious
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow talk about taking my pleasure away at finally winning MOTM <sniff> I really would like to think that it has nothing to do with my being a Moderator which is a very recent position for me but rather for what I contribute to the community as a person...I spend many hours on here everyday to help out...I realize just as much as any other person probably who are addicted to this site but I am one of the regulars and am here daily. There are many members who come and go and are never seen again.

If everyone is so passionate about this I am happy to give up the MOTM to Cocoa who is a fantastic member....but not sure that would be fair towards the people who did vote for me.

As for excluding the Mods from every contest is a bit unfair...we are members as well and very often lose in POTM & TOTM....just as we do in MOTM.

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Forget That! And cocoa_pleco would never agree to it either. He wants his win fair and square and I feel one coming on for him!

Mods deserve something, seems to me, than putting up with the sniffles, rants, threats, nasty PM's, petty arguements and childish behavior so we get to enter fair and square into the contests. Punishing someone for being a Mod and not letting them enter is hardly fair in my book. We're members just like everyone else. No more fair that selecting other people and allowing them to not enter?

Nothing to go on about here anyway. William has already spoken on this matter several posts ago.

cocoa_pleco
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
lol, thanks for the offer, but i dont like winning unless its fair and square

funnyfish
07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Hay thats not a bad idea maybe if it was don like this- newbie MOTM & a MOTM people that have been here longer than a year or somthing
Hey I think 2 MOTM could work I mean not the number of posts ( because as Lovely Lady Hobbs has pointed out that would be hard for eveyone to pay attention and all ) But maybe for Members a year or less and then MOTM for all the old timers... LOL meaning anyone thats been here longer than 1 year... Just a thought I wanted to chime in on.

Tolley
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Late to this thread but i may as well chuck in my point of view.

About the ModOTM, Nah. Two reasons;
1. We only see the member side of the Mods. No regular member knows how much work they're doing behind the scenes.
2. I think it would separate the mods too much from everyone else. Having they're own competition would make them <not sure how say this bit> something like separate so they might be viewed different. That probably all amde no sense.

Also you cannot go by what the poll says, it could be just members wanting to win MOTM. I'd go by opinions backed up with reasons.

Red
07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Now reading some of these points i am kind of torn.... I see where billy is coming from and i see where the mods are coming from... i am 50/50.. and no jess you deserve the MOTM..

Billythefish
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Well guys at the end of the day its not going to happen and to tell you the truth with the poll being more or less 50.50 i wouldn't want it to.. Thanks for your posts and votes..

Jess dont be silly it wasnt about you or any other past winners it was just a idea ;-)

smaug
07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Jess,you winning MOTM has nothing to do with my recommendation,you are an awesome member and are totally new to modship.
I come to my way of thinking as a long time member of many different "member type" originations,some of which I was an officer of.I see a modship as being an officer as in you have powers and responsibility's that go beyond that of the normal member.The clubs I am member of mostly exclude officers from the normal awards that are given to the members.It works well as it solves any bickering over the fairness of nominations and voting.The officers are open to there own awards which are more centered on the responsibility's of the officers.
Lady: you mention that mods have won 5 times in roughly 18 months?Thats a fairly high percentage when you take into consideration the amount of members we have that are not mods.I want to reiterate that I am NOT pointing fingers or pooh poohing anyones wins or nominations.I am just giving an alternative as one of our members has brought it up.Of course William and the mod squad will do as they see best and we all must abide by those decisions.

CAllain
07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
When I was voting this time for MOTM I didn't even realise Fishaliscious was a mod. I based my vote purely on the posts I'd seen from those members in the forum.

I would say maybe the only reason some mods win more, is because they're more active than some of the other members, and they make the effort to give good advice, which really all members should strive to do regardless of their position. Not talking about this board here, but I've seen too many posts that will just say (for example) "that fish is too big for that tank" without explaining why.

Also, mods are just normal members with some extra "behind the scenes" privileges. It shouldn't affect people's votes that they carry an extra title.

nwnittany
07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm fairly new here and don't have all the context. So, there's a good chance I'm out in left field on this.

At the same time, I don't have any 'baggage' with the current system, or skin in the game, etc.

I'm not even claiming I'm in the majority and not even asking for a change. And this has nothing to do with the recent contest.

With that said, and take this FWIW, I agree with Smaug.

I view the mods as being on a different level than the regular members. You guys are in a very well-deserved position of authority and respect. I am frequently amazed at your contributions - be they technical, procedural, or cultural.

It seems to me that the MOTM should be for the regular, run-of-the-mill member. The guy/gal who just happened to have a 'good month'. Or, the guy/gal who is getting the MOTM for being consistently good. Or, whatever.

In my mind, it is somewhat analogous to what many companies do with informal or minor awards. They often exclude management from these. Why ? Because these awards are intended for 'the troops'. Management has other incentives (bonuses, major awards, etc) for them. The fact they are in management is more of an achievement than some minor award. So, I view the mods as management in this analogy. Now, I understand the AC isn't a company, and I'm sure there are counterexamples of companies that don't do it this way. I'm just using this as an analogy.

I certainly think we need contests where the mods are 'in the mix'. For example, the picture of the month seems like one...the lottery, etc.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Not looking for an argument...just trying to give you another perspective.

ladyoutlaw50
07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
I have to agree with the previous 2 posts --- makes alot of sense to me!! I realize the mods do alot of work we don't even see and I respect them all!!
Just wanted to add my 2 cents

Tolley
07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
One thing we have to remember.

Moderators are Members too!

crackatinny
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Got to disagree on this, we are members 1st and foremost, and should not be singled out for a special comp.

On the comments made that mods have a better chance of MOTM simply because they are mods I also disagree with, do you see GM or myself on the winners list for this year?.
I do have a MOTM award from last year, but this was won before becoming a mod, in which I was in a tiebreaker with Hobbs, who at the time and still is a very good mod, so that blows your theory on fairness right out the window.

Lady Hobbs
08-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Since the history of the MOTM going back to when the Mods won, I thought there might be some information I'd toss in here I neglected to mention.

When the contests started in Aug 2006, William won the first one and no Mods were even nominated the rest of that year. The contests were very new and the number of nominations were like only for 4 or 5. Same in the picture contests which is why I actually managed to win TOTM with my blue gravel and the fake decorations I had back then. LOL

2007 rolled around and things picked up some and the contests were still pretty manageable and a lot of fun. It's only in the last 8-9 months or so they've gotten so busy. We have more voters now in one contest (one group even) that we had in all 3 contests in 2006. So, to win back then was not a big struggle when you were up against maybe 3 or 4 others is all.

Our elimination contests have only been going on since this last April. Those were started to give everyone a better chance.

But really, if a Mod or any other member wins MOTM one time a year hardly even seems like an issue when the same person (or anyone) could win 11 POTM's in a year. Now, that would be something to get stirred up about. We had one member win those contests almost every month but hey, he had a great camera and great subjects and deserved the wins.

If you have a car race with someone and they win 8 times, do you say you can't win the next one now because you won 8 other times? :)

smaug
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Allright allright,I know where I stand.No one that agrees with myself or Billy on this subject were out to insult or knock anyone around.It was/is my opinion that things should be a bit different ,thats all.From the amount of votes in the poll Id say Im not totally off base.Of course it wont change and Im fine with that,I still like it here.