PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Battle in my tank

Abbeys_Mom
07-20-2008, 03:17 AM
After buying 3 female barbs today and doing some research on sexing barbs. I have found that I have 3 small male moss barbs, 3 female tiger barbs and 2 enormous male tiger barbs. The males have been sparing all evening. The red fanned dorsals remind me of the Trojan helmets, lol. I hope they resolve it soon!

smaug
07-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Tigers are buttheads,Ive had mine for 5 years now,there are 2 left and they havnt resolved anything!

Lady Hobbs
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I've watched the Tigers... threatening to get some several times but each time think of their fin nipping, snotty attitudes and run out of the store before I end up with some. I might, someday, try some cherry barbs but just don't want to "go there" with the tigers. I have no where to return fish here if they don't work out for me so have to be very careful of what I buy. They upset my tank it's "lights out" for them.

Abbeys_Mom
07-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I had a good look at both males this morning and there doesn't appear to be any damage. It was all for show. It doesn't bother me, as long as they keep the nipping to themselves and keep the torn fins to a minimun. It was more interesting to watch then what was on the TV last night, lol.

Drip Loop
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I've watched the Tigers... threatening to get some several times but each time think of their fin nipping, snotty attitudes and run out of the store before I end up with some. I might, someday, try some cherry barbs but just don't want to "go there" with the tigers. I have no where to return fish here if they don't work out for me so have to be very careful of what I buy. They upset my tank it's "lights out" for them.

I have 2 cherry barbs in my community tank and I can say that from my experience they are incredibly docile as far as barbs go.. If you have had the itch to grab them I think you will be suprised.

smaug
07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
The best situation for tigers is a tank of there own .With some catfish for the bottom.

abaigael04
07-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Yeh I'm going to get rid of my tigers - I don't know how to sex them but they all fight and I started with 7 and now only have 4! I am SO tired of their attitudes they are my only middle swimmers so they just kill each other! Mine do that ALL the time and have not been hurt from that that I can tell - mostly when they won't stop chasing each other and nipping fins! I have lost some in the past, too those 3 have been in the last 4 months and from the other barb "eating" their fins!

Abbeys_Mom
07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
The males have red (or redder) noses.

smaug
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Yup,red noses and edging means males,its only prominent when mature.

abaigael04
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Than I have ALL or mostly males which could explain my problems... either way I am getting rid of them (by giving them back or to someone else) because I have bought them numerous times and continue to get all males... and continue to get constant fighting. thanks for the info though - explains a lot!