PDA

View Full Version : hillstrem loach compatability?

snapdragon9
07-18-2008, 06:27 AM
thinking about getting a hillstream loach, not sure if he is the right candidate for my tanganyikan, (one julidochromis and a lemonpeel about an inch each along with a night goby) tank. They can be agressive but there are many caves and hiding placed in the tank, along with a strong water flow. What seems to be the temperment of the hillstream loach especially that in a community tank.

Dave66
07-18-2008, 06:45 AM
If your general hardness is between 8 and 12 and the pH is 8.0 or less you can, but the dissolved Oxygen level can't dip below 8 mg/l with these fish.

Dave

abaigael04
07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Also- I know nothing about tanganyikan tanks but what temp is your tank? 75 F is highest temp. For them. Hillies like cooler temps also they need groups of them. they also prefer moving water- hence the high oxygen levels.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Those that I know that have hillstream loaches have them in a species only tank and have jets set up at the bottom to give them the needed current. Most other fish don't like that current and constantly struggling against it will stress them.

toddnbecka
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Even setting aside the lower temps and high water flow rates hillstream loaches prefer I wouldn't recommend mixing them with most cichlids. Hillstream loaches are peaceful enough to be good community fish, but Tanganykians are not generally peaceful in any case.