PDA

View Full Version : My clowns are getting skinny

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 07:27 AM
My loaches are not plump like they were and don't seem to be eating very well. They're not stressed and have good coloring but they sure are getting finicky. I give blood worms, shrimp pellets, flake, spirulina, blanced veggies, algae pellets and yesterday I made the homemade food with lots of shrimp in it.

I also drop pellets for them in the tank and they just run over the top of it and don't even stop to look at it. The algae pellets lay there and get moldy.

Not sure what to give them at this point. They're in with my rainbows that are hogs and possibly they are getting most of the food so I started feeding the loaches at night but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Dave66
07-12-2008, 07:37 AM
How long have you been doing night feedings, Hobbsy? And how long have you had the loaches? Sounds like the internal nematode intestinal worms are getting the upper hand, or they could just be constipated and can't eat any more. Have you noticed the color and frequency of poo with the loaches?
Might try some defrosted peas tomorrow night, and see if they take them. If not, try a hefty slice of cucumber, even half of a cucumber. If neither tempt them, it's time for fresh garlic-laced foods every meal for six weeks, hun.

It's either the worms or constipation. If it's the latter, the veggies will help them clear it and they will eat again. If it's the former, it'll be a long road ahead for both you and the fish.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't know Dave. Who ever has seen a loach poop? LOL They're on their tummies so don't see that end of them much. :)
Never had any fish with worms but that's not saying it can't be. They were plumper before I put them in this planted tank. I wonder if they're eating so much plant matter that the food isn't looking good to them anymore. I don't know. This food I made yesterday has garlic in it. Just getting them to eat it now is another story. I will try the cucumber but they wouldn't eat the squash I gave them.

All the snails are gone so they're eaten them.

Dave66
07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Are they as active as they usually are, Hobbsy?

Guess I'm scatological Dave :) Always eye-balling fish poo for clues about internal workings,

Dave

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Yup. I have two that are out and about all day but 3 stick close to their cave. At night all are out and all colored up nicely and swimming in the bubbles. They seem fine but I can see they have lost weight.

angelcakes
07-12-2008, 07:57 AM
i'd lay of food for a couple of days except for the cucumber but feed it raw so it will last longer in your water also leave the rind on,i wouldnt IMO opinion feed anymore fruit until your fish get better,my clowns are normally feed on a strict routine in the evening, i dont feed them at night i feed them when i can see them to keep an eye on them,im hoping it isnt worms and hoping the've ate to much,good luck you and youre fish:22:

Dave66
07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Got a shot of them in their current state? Eyes clear, fish normal. . . has to be constipation.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 08:02 AM
What fruit, Angel? They're had no fruit. Only the foods mentioned in my previous post. And of course whatever flake food the rainbows miss, which isn't much.

Dave, wouldn't they be bloated from constipation instead of skinny?

angelcakes
07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
What fruit, Angel? They're had no fruit. Only the foods mentioned in my previous post. And of course whatever flake food the rainbows miss, which isn't much.

Dave, wouldn't they be bloated from constipation instead of skinny?
squash is that fruit?? to me squash is orange?:confused:

Dave66
07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Not if they've stopped eating, they wouldn't be, Hobbsy. They'd metabolize the food, but would be unable to void the waste, thus they stop eating and get skinnier and skinnier.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 08:12 AM
I will move them out of that planted tank today so I can keep a better eye on them and watch their food intake since they've gone downhill since being in this tank. Maybe they don't like the fertilizer in the plants? Who the heck knows. I can't see what's happening with the 3 that remain hid during the day, either, and I can watch them in a tank by themselves better.

Sound OK? Now to catch them without tearing the whole tank up!

angelcakes
07-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I will move them out of that planted tank today so I can keep a better eye on them and watch their food intake since they've gone downhill since being in this tank. Maybe they don't like the fertilizer in the plants? Who the heck knows. I can't see what's happening with the 3 that remain hid during the day, either, and I can watch them in a tank by themselves better.

Sound OK? Now to catch them without tearing the whole tank up!
sounds like a good idea......good luck in catching themthumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 08:28 AM
LOLOL I can see another tank re-do will be coming up. Out comes the 8 inch net.

angelcakes
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
LOLOL I can see another tank re-do will be coming up. Out comes the 8 inch net.
that sounds like a nice big net........there swines to catch:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Actually, I got the other tank ready for them and thought of hauling them out and they looked so darned happy and were having such a good time I didn't want to stress them all out. I got a better look at all of them and they look better than I thought they did. I will leave them where they are for now and keep on eye on them for awhile. In my opinion, they did better in an unplanted tank, tho.