PDA

View Full Version : How long can I keep my pleco?

fishymommy
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a common pleco and right now, he is small in my 20g Long aquarium. Currently, he's only about 3-4 inches long; however, I know that he is going to get HUGE someday. So, how long until he is too big for my small aquarium? At what length will he no longer be safe in my aquarium?

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2008, 01:27 AM
You should actually consider re-homing him now so he has the chance to grow as he should and be easier to catch.

Billythefish
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
How long and wide is your tank?, you cant just say in 6 months get rid as some grow fast and some dont but i'd say if is can hit the front of the tank and back at the same time (nose to tail) then he's to big, and thay can smash small tanks at when thay get over 8'' so ive heard.

fishymommy
07-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Wow! thats a strong fish.. lets see.. my tank is close to 30" x 12.5" x 12".. I can't remember for sure but I remember its as long as a tipical 30g but not as deep or tall

fishymommy
07-11-2008, 01:47 AM
You should actually consider re-homing him now so he has the chance to grow as he should and be easier to catch.

I would love to put him in a huge better tank cuz that would be AWESOME!! Unfortunately, for now, all I have is the 20g.. I can't get any bigger of an aquarium while I am living at the dorms in college.. As of now, I will be living in a dorm for at most 4 years and after that have an appartment but it may pan out that I get one before then.. I'm not sure..

Billythefish
07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
How long and wide is your tank?, you cant just say in 6 months get rid as some grow fast and some dont but i'd say if is can hit the front of the tank and back at the same time (nose to tail) then he's to big, and thay can smash small tanks at when thay get over 8'' so ive heard.
Well thay can frash about at times and hit the glass or knock over rocks ect and brake the slim glass that small tanks have, i'd say that you would be ok until he gets to about 8'' because he would still have 4'' to tern around in, i hope ive helped

fishymommy
07-11-2008, 01:58 AM
You have. Thank you!

toddnbecka
07-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Do yourself and the pleco a favor and swap it for a species that is suitable for the small tank. Unless you have a heavy load of algae I'd recommend one of the Hypancistrus species rather than a bristlenose.
Here's a good place to start looking, just cross-reference the L-number on planetcatfish.com for pics and more details about whatever seems interesting: http://www.fishforums.net/content/Plecos-and-other-Loricariids/132656/30-Plecos-Under-8-Inches/

KingFisher
07-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Do yourself and the pleco a favor and swap it for a species that is suitable for the small tank. Unless you have a heavy load of algae I'd recommend one of the Hypancistrus species rather than a bristlenose.
Here's a good place to start looking, just cross-reference the L-number on planetcatfish.com for pics and more details about whatever seems interesting: http://www.fishforums.net/content/Plecos-and-other-Loricariids/132656/30-Plecos-Under-8-Inches/

I agree 100%, your pleco will be much better off if he can get into the size tank he needs while he is still small. Your other fish will also be much better off without such a large waste producing fish in the tank. It will become increasingly hard to keep the water parameters stable in your tank the bigger he gets.

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Being in too small of tank, his growth won't take off as it should. In other words, he'll be stunted. If they have the room for growth to their capacity, they will grow like crazy. They also want a large tank for cleaning of algae.