PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Clown Loach

coopergtr
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I have two clown loaches that were both bought at the same time, one of them has grown loads but the other one hasnt.
The smaller clown loach hasn't been himself the past couple of days and seems to have lost lots off weight!! All the other fish in the tank are fine.
Whats wrong with him?
Is he going to die??

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
He may have skinny disease that some loaches get. If so, your other loach may have it as well.

It could also be that he is smaller and maybe picked on and not allowed to get enough food. try feeding them from both ends of the tank so both get equal food.

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 05:25 AM
It may also be the fact there are only 2, and the dominant fish is too much for the other one to live with. They're best kept in groups, the larger the better. It's tough being on the bottom of the pecking order w/out any others to distract the dominant fish.

coopergtr
07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I have just come home from work and my loach is dead!
we did originally have three but now we're down to just one should i buy him some friends?

Thanks for your help guys.

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
If the rest of the fish in the tank are healthy I'd pick up several more, and some parasite medicine as a precaution. Just make sure it's safe for scaleless fish.

Gemini
07-04-2008, 03:13 AM
I had a similar problem with the first couple of loaches I got. I did a lot of reading about parasites and skinny disease to see if I could solve the problem. Now that the poor guy is gone, have a look at your existing loach and make sure he looks solid. Look at him from the head down to the tail (like the head looking at you so you can have a profile type view down him). Make sure that he is not caving in at all around his head. He should be nice and solid without any skinny bits. In other words make sure he doesn't look like this: http://www.geocities.com/pktechlizard/skinny.htm
If he's fine then get him at least two friends. Make sure when you buy them that you have a good look at the tank and pick nice chunky loaches. I read that clown loaches often get parasites which also causes skinniness. So try and pick the fatties!!!

angelcakes
07-04-2008, 07:03 AM
thats what i do pick out the fatties and ones with the blackest stripes,also dont go for a clown loach that has pale stripes there could be something wrong(watch in the lfs to see if the stripes change colour quickly),if the stripes are black and the loach is fat then these would be better,and i agree with other posts if youre others ok then get a couple more,thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I also wouldn't buy any from a tank with other "skinnies." And check them out for ICK. They're famous for carrying that home.

angelcakes
07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I also wouldn't buy any from a tank with other "skinnies." And check them out for ICK. They're famous for carrying that home.
tell me about it........you go to my lfs and you see all the clowns with white spot.........thankfully ive got mine from elsewhere :c10:

coopergtr
07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I looked at the link Gemini posted and im pretty sure my dead loach had skinny disease! My other loach is a fatty tho and his stripes are very dark, i'll get him some friends this week.

Thanks again guys!

Drip Loop
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
If the rest of the fish in the tank are healthy I'd pick up several more, and some parasite medicine as a precaution. Just make sure it's safe for scaleless fish.

Careful here. How large is the aquarium? Several is most likely too many considering these can get to be a foot long. If you have the tank for it that fine, more the merrier as they do love to school.