View Full Version : Should I get an arowana?

12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I have been debating about getting a silver arowana. My current setup is a 130 g tank with 2 severums, 2 three-spot gouramis, 2 gold gouramis, 3 red-eye tetra, 1 swordtail, 4 plecos, 2 dojo loaches and 3 barbs. I wouldn't be too upset to see some of the fish eaten, but I would like to hopefully keep the severums and the dojo loaches, but if the dojos were digested I could cope with the loss, as long as the arowana is healthy.

Should I go for it, or wait until I get a bigger tank?

Also, the current price at lfs for the fish is $29.99 for a 4" fish. Is that a rip-off? I thought you could buy them for $10-$15.00.

And if you don't think that the arowana would be a good fit, what would be another option for a predatory fish to add to the tank that wouldn't destory the landscape?

12-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Well the severum would likely make it if they are big. However wether you should wait or get a tank now is largely dependent on when you are planning to get a larger aquarium. If it is in a near future you could get an arowana, if it further into the future I would wait.

12-11-2006, 01:24 AM
The severums are about 6" long and I will most likely get the larger aquarium in a couple of years, so I guess I will wait it out.

12-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Do not get a big fish like that until you KNOW you can deal with it full grown. In this case, are you ready to deal with a 4' fish?

12-11-2006, 02:16 AM
If it will be a couple of years I think you are making the right decision when you choose to wait.

12-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Thanks for responding.

01-12-2007, 04:30 AM
from my understanding after a certain size growth of 18inches or so the arrowana will grow very slowly then after so this will give you a good deal of time to upgrade to a larger tank should you get an arrowana now. . they grow fast the first year ...then decrease in growth...also the feeding patterns refelect their growth as well . .someone correct me if i am wrong