PDA

View Full Version : Forum Rules

William
12-10-2006, 11:34 PM
This is the place to post suggestion that you would like to see included in the coming formal forum rules.

//William

Abbeys_Mom
12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, there are some obvious ones.

No rude language
No insults
I like the no politics rules some forums have, it's hard enforce in some places.
No racism

William
12-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes those are obvious and will be a part of the rules. Not sure about the politics one. It can as you say be hard to enforce. I belive a better solution might be to create a special sub forum to the chatter box where controversial subjects like politics and religion are allowed (and only there) and where people just have to accept that arguments might be heated if they choose to go there.

Thoughts on this suggestion?

Lady Hobbs
12-11-2006, 12:01 AM
There's a thread about forum etiquette that some things might be taken from.

William
12-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes I have seen it. I might borrow a thing or two from it.

Incredulous_Ed
12-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Yes those are obvious and will be a part of the rules. Not sure about the politics one. It can as you say be hard to enforce. I belive a better solution might be to create a special sub forum to the chatter box where controversial subjects like politics and religion are allowed (and only there) and where people just have to accept that arguments might be heated if they choose to go there.

Thoughts on this suggestion?
That seems like a good idea.

jeffs99dime
12-12-2006, 01:27 AM
That seems like a good idea.

also to speak freely about anything! just my 2 cents

Slinky_Bass
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
One thing that I think should be considered is consistency. After reading Floored's "my Rep" thread it occurred to me that when giving advice or commenting on threads, memebers should try to be as consistent with others as possible (as it was revealed later that Floored felt he was being treated inconsistently and was thus rather heated in his thread).

So lets take for example Cichlid_man, I feel that he is quite a courteous and thourough poster, if he were to suddenly post something short and abrupt to one of my posts, because I am familiar with his well mannered style I'd feel a bit put out because he did not take the time to be courteous to me like he does to others.

I know sometimes people have bad days and feel less wordy or polite, but I think it is important to try, especially for members who usually are friendly and thourough with their posts. Or at least, if you don't feel like posting like usual, then maybe mention you are busy/tired/not experienced in that topic, so other members can understand and not feel slighted.

I know you can't really enforce something like consistency, but maybe it should be mentioned, and then things like Floored's rep situation could be avoided.
As we are only limited to conversing in text, our words (and emoticons) are the only that we have to express ourselves. Please bear in mind that I am only mentioning Floored's rep issue as an example and am not saying that anyone involved was right or wrong, I'm just saying that we should carefully consider what we write (or what we don't write), the tone we use when writing, and how consistent we are being with members.

Severus
12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
That is a good suggestion SB, i think that because the other members of the forum cant physically hear the tone we are talking in, things might get taken the wrong way. It is kind of hard to explain what i am talking abot, but either way i feel like that might have been what happened with f1oored's post. Either way, i do like williams idea of a sub forum in chatterbox for speaking freely about politics, religion, whatever...

Slinky_Bass
12-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I like the idea too, as we get to know eachother better in this forum it would be nice to share things that are maybe more personal and serious to us, like politics, religion, social issues etc. Needless to say that any disussion (whether it is a really topical issue or not) should be done in a respectful and polite manner, in keeping with the overall tone of the forum.

William
12-13-2006, 05:52 AM
What do you think about a rule stating that you need to give a reason when giving rep. That way people know why they got the rep and can learn from it. (especially important with bad rep)

crackatinny
12-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Sounds like a fair rule

Severus
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
What do you think about a rule stating that you need to give a reason when giving rep. That way people know why they got the rep and can learn from it. (especially important with bad rep)

That seems like a good idea

Nautilus291
12-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I think that sounds like a good idea to, but i was wondering would you have to put your name too. Becuase that could cause some conflict with people.

William
12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
I agree. It could be good to be allowed to leave out ones name.

jeffs99dime
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
i still believe in freedom of speech as long as the person partaking is responsible and respectful

Severus
12-14-2006, 03:17 AM
i still believe in freedom of speech as long as the person partaking is responsible and respectful

+1 thumbs2:

jeffs99dime
12-14-2006, 03:22 AM
the jerseyites in the house know what's up! :hmm3grin2orange: