PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp and Danios

Ellen4God
06-28-2008, 05:06 AM
I think I've figured out the main reason why I don't see many of my cherry shrimp roaming around my tank. They usually stay in the java moss, and I'll occasionally see one or two at the surface of the java moss, but then one of my danios will dive bomb it and it'll bury itself into the moss again. So, now I'm concerned that my poor shrimp are being terrorized by my danios. Hobbs made a comment once that I shouldn't have too much gunk on my substrate because my shrimp will scavenge all of it off - including the poop and all. Well, my substrate has a good bit of poop and such on it - you can see it better now that I have sand in it.

I'm not really sure how to make my shrimp more comfortable. They have tons of java moss to hide in, but I don't want them to be in hiding all of the time because of my danios. I've considered trying to find a new home for my danios so that I could get a different kind of fish - something more colorful - but I'm not sure how I feel about just giving my fish up. I didn't get them to just give them away at a later date - you know?

houie925
06-28-2008, 06:07 AM
sounds like everyday life for a shrimp. Always hiding from something. If they seem healthy and their population isn't dwindling I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Commodore 64
07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I got 35 cherry shrimp from Algenco. I plopped them in my 55g with 6 mollies, 3 singapore wood shrimp, 2 clown loaches, 2 cory cats, and a CAE.

Now and again, the mollies would chase a shrimp, thinking it was a bit of food, but they didn't appear to be too terrorized. They were out and about a lot. I have lots of rocks, (fake) plants, a couple chunks of driftwood, and some java moss that is slowly growing. Half a dozen shrimp tended to hang out in the java moss, but other than that most of them were crawling around the wood and rocks. Are there lots of places for yours to hide or retreat to when curious fish check them out?

I did decide to move all of my cherry shrimp to their own 12g Eclipse tank, that they will share with some malaysian trumpet snails and a couple nerite snails. This way, I hope that any offspring they produce will survive. I moved them over last night, in fact. I'm sure there's a few cherries left in my 55, but I did manage to move a good 20 or so.

Ellen4God
07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Mine acted like that when I first got them as well - they moved about the tank and were very curious. Then, I changed things up a little bit, and they were less active (this was awhile ago). Then, several weeks ago, I changed to sand substrate instead of gravel, and they haven't been out much at all. They do have plenty of places to hide - a log sort of thing, lots of live plants, a big mass of java moss. My ghost shrimp is generally more active, which I'm guessing is because they're not as noticeable. I don't think it really has much to do with switching substrates or changing things around - I just think the danios notice them more and dive bomb at them when they're out. I'll occasionally see some in my plants scavenging around there, but that's about it.

I've been told several times that this is just how RCS are - they hide all of the time, but I just can't disregard the fact that my danios diving at them and seeming to bug the snot out of them.

stephane.savard
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
How are your cherry shrimp doing now, have the Danio stopped harassing the shrimp?

I added four red cherry shrimp to my tank last Thursday. Today, just before leaving for work I checked the tank and the last one seems to have dissapeared, presumably eaten by the Danio (I have one long-fin leopard danio, and five shorter-fin leopard danio).

The first 3 shrimp dissapeared the first night. The last stuck it longer, hiding underneath an Anubia.

I really wanted some shrimp, but these Danio are incredibly vicious (except the long-finned danio). They are constantly searching for food, and will even devour any algae waffers I put into the aqauarium for the three Otocinclus.

Actually, the Otos are the only thing that the Danios leave alone, they might as well not even exist as far as they are concerned. When I put in some algae waffers, the Danio were fighting amoungst themselves to get at it, but would leave the Oto alone as it sat on top of it.

Tolley
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Your shrimp will be comfortbale with all your plants and moss. I wouldn't worry there. Just because they hide doesn't mean they're sad.

Dave-id
07-15-2008, 05:18 AM
I disagree actually.. If they hide, they are uncomfortable...
Which, to be fair, IS technically life for a shrimp :P
However, if you provide them with a home that is not full of danger and strife, you will see them all over the place, actually enjoying themselves.
It's up to you. If you provide them with a decent amount of hiding places, they will probably survive. If you want to see them actually thrive.. Better get rid of those danios.. they are ruthless :27: