PDA

View Full Version : Walking catfish gone needs love!

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Hay guys
My walking catfish has gone a bit mad of late he keeps dancing up and down the glass with his reflection all day and night, he's now about 9'' long and i think he's at that age now for mateing or somthing, my problem is i cant get a female for him i just cant have 500 fry of this kind of fish because i just dont see how i could give or sell the fry to people or lfs etc,
Do any of you have a idea on how to calm him down ???
Thanks

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
):fish: bump

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
sounds like youre fish needs a cold shower..........i take its horny as hell:hmm3grin2orange:

toddnbecka
06-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Maybe it's feeling cramped in the tank, and wants to take a "walk"...

Incredulous_Ed
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
He sounds okay. If hes an intelligent fish get one of thse bulbble things and see if it catches his interest.

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 07:21 PM
He sounds okay. If hes an intelligent fish get one of thse bulbble things and see if it catches his interest.
I have a bubble wall if thats what your on obout? He just keeps going up and down the glass, i even tryed puting on some barry white turned up loud to see if he would stop.... But no he just kept on going lol,

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 07:26 PM
I have a bubble wall if thats what your on obout? He just keeps going up and down the glass, i even tryed puting on some barry white turned up loud to see if he would stop.... But no he just kept on going lol,
try lionel richie..........its got some swing..........maybe he dont like barry white:hmm3grin2orange:
but on a serious note i aint got a cluethumbs2:

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 07:57 PM
try lionel richie..........its got some swing..........maybe he dont like barry white:hmm3grin2orange:
but on a serious note i aint got a cluethumbs2:
Haha god damn fish has a steering wheel in his pants and its driving its nutz lol,
Do you think you could milk a fish like thay do with cows pigs etc?

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Haha god damn fish has a steering wheel in his pants and its driving its nutz lol,
Do you think you could milk a fish like thay do with cows pigs etc?
whats the expression when a mans frisky oh yeah a cold spoon:hmm3grin2orange:
he should soon stop:22:

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
whats the expression when a mans frisky oh yeah a cold spoon:hmm3grin2orange:
he should soon stop:22:
Haha,
I hope so he's been doing it for a good week alredy just hope it dont kill him

sktadood13
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
haha this tread is funny

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
ive done some googleing and i can only find breeding with two fish,heres a link might help also might not:thumb:

http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/C/Clarias_batrachus.asp

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
ive done some googleing and i can only find breeding with two fish,heres a link might help also might not:thumb:

http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/C/Clarias_batrachus.asp
Thanks angelcakes but its the same sort of info that i found, i might just try and get a female for him and feed the fry to my oscars

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks angelcakes but its the same sort of info that i found, i might just try and get a female for him and feed the fry to my oscars
not got a clue where you are going to get a female.......but good luck:thumb:
try here:

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/

Billythefish
06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
not got a clue where you are going to get a female.......but good luck:thumb:
try here:

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/
Thanks buddy
And i know it will be hard to get a female but this is what happens when my wife buys a fish because its pink lol

angelcakes
06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks buddy
And i know it will be hard to get a female but this is what happens when my wife buys a fish because its pink lol
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: good luck

angelcakes
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
has he calmed down today??thumbs2:

Billythefish
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
has he calmed down today??thumbs2:
Nope! He's as crazy as yesterday... Im still waiting for a reply from the seller in brighton that you told me about in your pm's, if his isn't a female i may try and fool the fish into thinking its winter by lowering the temp so he digs under the gravel thats all i can think of!

angelcakes
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Nope! He's as crazy as yesterday... Im still waiting for a reply from the seller in brighton that you told me about in your pm's, if his isn't a female i may try and fool the fish into thinking its winter by lowering the temp so he digs under the gravel thats all i can think of!
that might be a good idea.......cant do any harm in trying?

tropfish
06-28-2008, 01:14 AM
he may see his reflection in the glass and is being territorial. Not much can be done about this until he calms down and sees he can't get to the "other fish"

toddnbecka
06-28-2008, 05:21 AM
No, it's not his reflection in the glass. If that were the case, male bettas would die of exhaustion.

Billythefish
06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Bingo! He's not doing it now and all i did was cut a bit of background paper and stick it to the side of the tank!, i think it was his reflection... Maybe he wanted to mate or he was being territorail... Thanks for all the help guys :thumb:

Oh just like to add maybe him being a albino means he cant see if his reflection is him or an other fish.

angelcakes
06-28-2008, 11:28 AM
good..........glad to hear itthumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
My angelfish used to see their reflections and sit there wanting to fight with themselves for hours.

I wonder if your walking catfish is like those I'd see in FL. Big rainfalls and they'd be in the road all over the place. At my daughters, they come up from the swale and was walking across the yard to a mud puddle in her backyard. They sure are odd fish.

Billythefish
06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
My angelfish used to see their reflections and sit there wanting to fight with themselves for hours.

I wonder if your walking catfish is like those I'd see in FL. Big rainfalls and they'd be in the road all over the place. At my daughters, they come up from the swale and was walking across the yard to a mud puddle in her backyard. They sure are odd fish.
Yes mine is the very same... Mad but shure is a handy and active fish, handy in that it will eat any thing even my big oscars poop! And that makes life so easy on the filter, but i will also say (imo) its one of the most interesting fish ive ever kept.

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2008, 12:19 PM
First time I saw them, I had been in FL only a short time and was waiting at a big intersection waiting for the light to change. All of a sudden, the road was full of fish. Really nice, too, after the roads had dried and all those smashed fish were laying there! yuck The buzzards liked it tho.

Billythefish
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM
First time I saw them, I had been in FL only a short time and was waiting at a big intersection waiting for the light to change. All of a sudden, the road was full of fish. Really nice, too, after the roads had dried and all those smashed fish were laying there! yuck The buzzards liked it tho.
I bet that stunk!, this is why people should stop puting there fish in to the wild after thay out grow there tanks! Not to mention the fact that the walking catfish have done so much damage to wild fish stocks world wide.

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2008, 12:51 PM
They are native to FL. The swales along the roadways are full of them.

Billythefish
06-28-2008, 01:54 PM
They are native to FL. The swales along the roadways are full of them.
No hobbs thay are a native to south east asia and thay was sent to the u.s a pet fish but ended up getting put into the wild by keepers that couldn't house them after thay out grown the tanks/ponds ect, easy to think thay are native because of there sheer number!

Oh and its now been banned to keep them in most states in the u.s

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Thank You Billy. Man, there are thousands of them in FL and I thought they were naturally there. Thanks for the heads up. Those stupid fire ants were also imported in. Those they could have kept as well as the Armadillo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_catfish

You were spot on!

Billythefish
06-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Thank You Billy. Man, there are thousands of them in FL and I thought they were naturally there. Thanks for the heads up. Those stupid fire ants were also imported in. Those they could have kept as well as the Armadillo.
Haha armadillo are cute like a rat with armour lol

bushwhacker
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
armadillo are native hobbs

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2008, 01:32 AM
old thread