PDA

View Full Version : Silver Arowana not eating

Martin-John
06-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Wondering if anyone can Help.

I have recently recieved a 76cm Silver Arowana from an institution in RSA and is now at Johannesburg Zoo, RSA. The poor thing refuses to eat. We have tried super big crickets, Ox heart (used to be on) and no success. Just waiting for TB clearance on some Rainbow Kribensis in a quarantine unit to feed out. The fish did develop a fungal infection and was on a seven day treatment with Malachite Green. It seems to have cleared out well. Is it then normal for it to not eat during this time?

A desperate aquarist

M-J

Dave66
06-25-2008, 06:17 AM
They often refuse to eat upon transfer from tank to tank. After a week, try shelled green peas with the fish. If he eats them, they will clear his guts. Then try the crickets again, but dust them first with a HUFA product to provide the long chain fatty acids with the fish.
Arowana can easily go a week without food, so be patient with him. After a week, feed the peas. If he takes them, watch his fecal output. Dark and he's healthy and ready to go. Whitish or clear, spike his food with fresh pureed garlic for six weeks to clear internal parasites.

Dave

Martin-John
06-25-2008, 07:55 AM
I appreciatte the info and will get started on the peas right away. Will keep you updated on the outcome.

PS any good fish med books that you recommend specifically on preventative meds and quarantine protocols?

Sincerely
Martin-John

Dave66
06-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I appreciatte the info and will get started on the peas right away. Will keep you updated on the outcome.

PS any good fish med books that you recommend specifically on preventative meds and quarantine protocols?

Sincerely
Martin-John

Martin-John,
Only one I have for freshwater fish is Edward Noga's Fish Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment. It's aimed more or less toward aqua cultured food fish, but the diseases and treatments are the same for aquarium fish, public or private.
It's the book to get. Covers quite all the common ailments plus several more that are uncommon. Book is around $100 US, but well worth it, especially with the plethora of diseases public aquariums must battle.
Not much you can do to prevent disease other then good aquarium husbandry. Fish in properly maintained aquaria only very, very rarely get sick. If they do, it's almost always the aquarium keeper's fault.
My preventative method is quarantine and six weeks of fresh garlic-laced foods to purge natural parasites. Garlic visually seems to strengthen the fish, especially those wild caught, starved and shipped. The intestinal parasites that all freshwater fish have, can cripple a starved fish to its doom.
The parasites can't metabolize the garlic and slowly starve. Fish usually purge the dead worms by the six or seventh week in quarantine.
I've never had a fish that WOULDN'T eat garlic-laced food, and garlic is much more gentle on the fish than chemical removal.
I've been using the garlic method for decades, and have never lost a fish in quarantine.
Do hope the Arowana does come around for you.

Dave

donvichu
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
generally when arowanas gets trnsferred they take upto a week to get adjusted...so should be good in a weekthumbs2: