PDA

View Full Version : New Betta....recipe for disaster?

Whitney
12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi,

I've just added a Betta to my 30 gallon tank. The tank already had 6 harlequin rasboras, 3 diamond tetras, 1 german blue ram, 1 yoyo loach, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, and a bunch of cherry shrimp.

He's been spending his time hiding in the taller plants near the filter, and when he comes out he does a lot of posturing and charging at his reflection in the glass. At one point he charged at my shrimp.

Is this normal adjusting and he'll settle down or does it sound like he's particularly aggressive?

I have another betta that I put in a 6 gallon vase with floating plants and a small heater. I could switch them out, but I don't want to cause any more stress to everyone than necessary.

Thanks!

-Whitney

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I suspect that once he gets used to having a new home, he'll be out and about pesting everyone else. His size will make him the boss, I think. I would be a little concerned about the rasbora's but they are probably fast enough to get away from him but he could still keep the others stressed out by his presence. Sometimes keeping them in a community tank works fine......other times it doesn't work at all.

I have an angel that looks at himself in the glass all day...charging back and forth and carrying on. I actually put stick 'em paper to that side of the glass hoping to break up the reflection but it didn't work.

Whitney
12-09-2006, 03:31 AM
well, I moved him out....he's in a vase on my fireplace mantle now. Not ideal, I know..... but I figure it's better housing that he's likely get at most homes (where they stick bettas in little betta cubes- and he seems happier than when he was in the tank with the other fish.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 03:45 AM
You'd better get something on top of that vase or you won't have a betta. Probably will need to move him when you have a fire going too.

That would be a nice Christmas present to add to your list, huh? A cute little betta tank. He is very pretty.

Whitney
12-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Don't use the fireplace, so that's not an issue.

The open top, however..... Will he jump out?

I have some floating brazilian plants...will that keep him in?

kimmers318
12-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Whitney....when I first put Seymour in my community tank he ran around flaring at everyone for maybe 3-4 days and then settled down. Now he only flares pretty much at the dwarf gourami....but as you can see, the gourami doesn't retaliate or seem to care.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/bettas/seymoreflare.jpg

You did the right thing removing him if it was making you uncomfortable but just wanted to share a "happy" betta story about community tanks because we hear so many horror stories. And there have been neon, gold and rummynose tetras along with sparkling gourami in there with him the whole time.....since early spring (the weather was still cold when I brought him home). I mentioned this since there are also horror stories about neon eating bettas! Sometimes it can work as long as there is plenty of space for everyone. This tank is understocked currently which I believe adds to my success because everyone knows they don't need to be bothered if they don't want to.

Whitney
12-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the story Kimmer.

Seymour's gorgeous. Purple is my favorite color.

I actually really like him in the vase. I am a little concerned about something though....the water's looking a little cloudy. He's only been in there since yesterday. I did a 20% water change, but it still looks cloudy. What do you all think this is from and what should I do about it.

Also, since Hobbs comment about jumping last night, I've been trying to figure out what to do about a cover for the vase. Any ideas? Right now I'm watching the vase, but for last night and while I was out today I had it loosely covered with punctured saran-wrap (not really a long term solution.

Whitney
12-09-2006, 10:13 PM
how likely is it that he'll try to jump out?

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
They've been known to but if it's common or not, I couldn't say. Never owned a betta. Had a friend who had one in a vase on her kitchen counter that jumped out, tho, and she found it dead in the morning.

kimmers318
12-10-2006, 04:28 AM
It happens regularly enough that it appears to be common knowledge, thankfully one betta tank has a good lid, and the community tank, although we are bad about leaving lid open has a lot of area from top of water to top of tank so I don't think he would make it.
As for the cloudiness, it could be the bacteria bloom that can sometimes happen with cycling/new tanks. Even though you don't have a filter you are still adding ammonia from food and fish waste, and the bacteria will begin to grow to take care of it. If you have test kits test the water and see how your parameters are.

Whitney
12-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I went to a local hardware store with a template of the top of the vase and had them cut a lid for me out of plexiglass. It has 1/4 inch holes spaced about an inch apart for airflow. I think it'll work just fine, and I won't be as worried about the jumping factor.

Nautilus291
12-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I had an aunt who owned a betta she had it about a year and then one morning she woke up and found this rubbery thing that she thought was a fishing lure, but when she picked it up she saw that it was her fish and his eyes where sunk in and it was pretty dry. then it moved in her hand and she put it back in the water. For the next week it didnt eat becuase it couldnt see anything, it would just lunge at the top of the water when she put food in and it couldnt get any. but then after a week and a half it could somehow see again and it lived for another 2 years. i thought that was a pretty cool story.

kimmers318
12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Very nice betta story....sometimes it is amazing what fish can make it thru