PDA

View Full Version : Blue ghost shrimp

Fishguy2727
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Here is one of the ghost shrimp I have had for a while. He is now blue (fed NLS exclusively).
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMG_2454.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMG_2453.jpg

ladyoutlaw50
06-21-2008, 11:49 PM
funny creatures aren't they??? They facinate me!:19:

Abbeys_Mom
06-22-2008, 02:13 AM
I didn't know Ghost shrimp came in blue.

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 02:15 AM
I didn't either, and he didn't. He turned blue since I got him. I bought a blue amano a while ago, I don't think he is still alive though.

Abbeys_Mom
06-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I love shrimp, but can't keep them. They either get eaten or jump out of the tank. I tell you, there is nothing more unpleasant then finding shrimp on your carpet in the morning XP

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Tight-fitting lid and well chosen tankmates. I prefer glass tops with the plastic backstrip that I cut to fit and use internal filters. This way it is just a small hole or two for cords, no escape routes.

Abbeys_Mom
06-22-2008, 02:24 AM
That was part of the problem, HOB filters, air hoses, cables and whatnot all had holes. You figure they would be smarter then that though.

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 02:29 AM
I think any animal, too dumb to realize what they are doing or too smart to sit in what is really a prison cell called a cage, has the instinct to explore the whole enclosure and find a way out if possible. Any time I add new animals to an enclosure they search the perimeter. Maybe this is nature's way of saying we are wrong to keep them...

Abbeys_Mom
06-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Although, when my lizard get out, they are perfectly willing to be put back in their tank, lol. Sometimes a tank is better then being in a living room with a cat.

Arkie
06-22-2008, 02:34 AM
dont say that fishguy!!!! i will feel bad for keeping pets then :( i prefer to think we are helping mother nature when we give animals a chance to live free from predators and the chance to breed safely :1luvu:

Abbeys_Mom
06-22-2008, 02:38 AM
It's funny. If an animal is born in captivity (depending on the species of course), then I have little problem with it. I do object to "wild caught" animals being kept in cages/tanks. With the condition that they are cared for properly.

Anyway, if we are not careful this thread will end up in the "Controversial" Section, lol.

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I think if the setup is basically like a small piece of their natural habitat and the only thing they lose is predation and disease, it is fine.

Bassinkorea
06-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I buy several hundred of shrimps at a time, and they do a fantastic job of cleaning up the tank : )

Evil Slimy
06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I had never seen that before. Is turning blue 'normal'?

Red
06-22-2008, 05:30 PM
well its not "normal" but it doesnt hurt the shrimp in any way.

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Under certain conditions you can bring out every bit of potential an animal has. In high water quality, the right parameters, and the right diet you can get much better coloration than average.

Evil Slimy
06-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes I understand that, but does the shrimp 'want' to be blue? Is that a natural state for them? ie. are they blue in the wild? I would think it would make them really stand out to predators.
Very neat and very interesting. Is the color induced by different types of food or mineral contents in the water?

Fishguy2727
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Genetics is a prerequisite for most types of coloration. There are ways to do it artificially, but in most cases the genetics need to be there to start off with. In this case there are two other ghost shrimp in that tank and neither is blue like this one.

There are many cases of 'natural' color variations in many types of animals. I say 'natural' because although it may not be the common wild type coloration it is not an artificial color like injections, dyes, genetic alteration, etc. These are called morphs, different genetics for different colors. This may be one of those situations.

To get the absolute best coloration out of an animal the best diet and environment in needed. If there is a problem with the diet or the environment then this can stress or inhibit the animal and the best potential will not be achieved.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
I think Fishguy has hit it right on. Optimal coloration is dependent on 3 things: genetics, environment, and diet. Any one of those three things can prevent optimal coloring. For example, if you look at most captive bred male Cherry Barbs they are pink, however if you get a good quality Cherry Barb that has great genetics and you keep it properly and feed it properly they will be almost blood red, they are stunning. Unfortunately they have been over bred in most cases and have become genetically weak. The blue coloration has to be somewhere in the genetic code for this particular shrimp.
Nice looking critter.

Evil Slimy
06-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Thank you. That answers my question, which I undoubtedly should have worded better. Not enough sleep for 9 months can do funny things.