PDA

View Full Version : Arowana comfortable?

jman
12-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Hey i have finally got my arowana and i wanted to know if anyones arowana took about 2 days before eating?
Mine did but now it's weared because he eats from my hand.

Fishguy2727
12-07-2006, 03:29 AM
Many fish take a while to settle in. What are you feeding? I hope not live. They are not hard to get on prepared and it is much better for them. What kind of arowana? How big is it so far? What size tank? What size tank will you keep it in permanently?

jman
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I will always move him up in size tank, feed him flake and he tares it up now but he's also eating meno's from my hand and sometimes when they swim around. He is about 14" long silver. He's more comfortable everyday and looks like th Jardini in my avatar.

Fishguy2727
12-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Flakes? Or do you mean pellets? I would definitely cut out the live. Live food is a good way to ruin an amazing fish with disease.

jman
12-08-2006, 01:53 AM
I mean both w/ flakes and the disease is not to worry because before they are fed they are treated . learned how to do it when i had piranha's

Sin
01-12-2007, 04:40 AM
Flakes? Or do you mean pellets? I would definitely cut out the live. Live food is a good way to ruin an amazing fish with disease.
live foods are a huge mistake indeed reptileguy .. Jman , my arrowanas took about four days for them to eat...then when i got the third one she only took one day to eat...so it does vary...remember it will be just about two weeks of time for the fish to adjust to its new surroundings and for them to act normally , give or take a week.....my arrowans also eat right out of my hands...it makes me feel good to see them eat and knowing that they are well fed is a beautiful feeling , but steer away from live foods alltogether! go to any bait and tackel shop and buy some Spearings , they would love it and train them to eat krill , even if you have to waste the shrimp if they do not eat...just discard and keep giving it to them every other day ...i was amazed to see them finally eating it after i had to discard it for several days...it pissed me off...but one day after i threw the shrimp in they started eating them...now they love it...key thing also is variety...how would you like to eat the same things everyday? wouldnt like it too much not to mention you wouldnt look that great , fish are pretty much the same

jman
01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
thanks dude... i wouldn't care about the food i ate everyday if it was mamas fried chicken...lol

but anyway i will stop and go to the LFS and get some krill i give lots of pellets.
i can't help feeding flake because it is not intended for him but since it's there he of course gets it first because he's at the top.