PDA

View Full Version : Never house two male betta's together.

rebelagent
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Never house two male betta's together. They will always fight to the death or stress the other out to the point of dying. If the males are in the wild they won't fight to the death only in aquarims will one find this. Because the betta does not have anywhere to hide or retreat to in the aquarium. Always have them in seperate bowls with dividing wall.

Vicki90
12-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi, I have two betta's living with a divider. Today I looked at them and they were on the same side as each other. The divider was still in place and I couldn't find a place where they could have crossed over. The really really weird part was that they weren't fighting. Neither them were poofed up, and they were just hanging out together. So what happened here? I put them on different sides again and they seem to be more agressive then before. When I first got them they were very agressive and since then they have calmed down, now they have returned to the agressiveness that they were when I got them. Any ideas?

William
12-25-2005, 05:17 AM
My guess would be that one fish jumped over the divider and that was how they ended up on the same half.

As for the aggression thing. Can't really say. I have kept to male Bettas (and more) in the same well planted aquarium which is possible if the aquarium is large enough for the Bettas to form several territories. This is really not recommended in small aquariums or aquariums without a lot of hiding places and natural territorial borders. What I have witnessed from this is that the aggression levels vary a lot over time which I would guess is dependent on breeding cycles or something like that but I really canít say for sure.