PDA

View Full Version : Kuhli Loaches?

invadertoast
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm thinking I would like to get a small group of Kuhli's and some sort of dwarf gourami (I saw tiny flame dwarf gouramis the other day and they were gorgeous!!) Is a 15g too small for a small group of Kuhlis? I've been reading alot about them but I've read anywhere from 10 - 30 gallon minimum tank size and anywhere from 3 to 6 inches adult size. They're just so cool looking, and I've never kept loaches before. I want to do a planted tank with Eco-Complete or Flourite and sand substrate. Would they constantly be uprooting my plants? Would they be okay in a tank with no cover? I could always rig up some sort of plexi sorround to go around the edge to prevent escapees I suppose.

They're one of those fish that I've seen in stores for years and always thought they were cute, but I had always assumed they were one of those fish that would grow up and eat everything in the tank (seems to be the case with alot of "cute" cool looking young fish, lol) I've also never kept gourami's before and I think it would make for an interseting planted tank.

Opinions/advice please?

coopergtr
05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
kuhlis are great little guys, i have a couple in my tank. how many are you thinking of getting? No need to worry about cover as they spend all there time at the bottom of the tank.

Gemstone
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
They area great loaches, and no, the will not root up your plants. They do however like a place where they can hide away and keep to their colony. A few well placed rocks towards the back of the tank with spaces for them to crawl between is idea....we have five and they are really great little creatures..they also like to sometimes *rest* along a plant's stem..and adore bloodworm.

Incredulous_Ed
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
They stay pretty small, and are very peaceful. They like schools though, so get a few. They might uproot your plants from digging though.

invadertoast
05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I was thinking three or four, and I do have a nice flat rock I could make into a cave for them. I was also considering moving my danios out of my 29 and in to the 15 (5 of them) instead of getting a dwarf gourami, but I'm still not sure what I want to do... I know the danios probably wouldn't appreciate being moved into a shorter tank. I definately want the kuhli's though!

Fishguy2727
05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I would leave the danios where they are. The kuhilis will be more likely to come out with laid back tankmates, not danios.

I personally would use just sand in a planted tank. All my tanks are planted and all are just sand. The special substrates are eventually drained of the nutrients you add them for, so you end up having to add those yourself anyways.

There are a number of species commonly called kuhilis. This may have something to do with some of the variation in information. I think a 15 would be fine. Lots of plants will help, as would shaded areas along the front panel of glass so they can hide and feel safe in a spot you can see them. I use small pieces of driftwood for this. You can check loaches.com for more information, they have tons of it on all the types of loaches.