PDA

View Full Version : barbus tetrazona tank population help

fish ninja
05-28-2008, 03:11 AM
I have a 46 gallon bow front that I want to put barbus tetrazona in and have a few questions.The tank has recently finished cycling and the lone occupants are 6 harlequin rasbora.I believe the rasbora should be traded in as they may not be a good match, is this correct? or is it possible for them to coexhist?Below is how I see my tank population , feel free to nit-pick.

8-tiger barbs
6-7 green tiger barb or The rasboras if possible
2-3 clown loaches or 2 peppermint pleco L30

Dave66
05-28-2008, 03:34 AM
I have a 46 gallon bow front that I want to put barbus tetrazona in and have a few questions.The tank has recently finished cycling and the lone occupants are 6 harlequin rasbora.I believe the rasbora should be traded in as they may not be a good match, is this correct? or is it possible for them to coexhist?Below is how I see my tank population , feel free to nit-pick.

8-tiger barbs
6-7 green tiger barb or The rasboras if possible
2-3 clown loaches or 2 peppermint pleco L30

ninja,
The Rasboras will have to be removed, as Tiger Barbs are FAR too feisty for them. Go with the plecos, as a pair or trio of the loaches would be doing them a disservice, as they belong in groups of six or more in aquariums. As they reach between 14 and 16 inches, they are far too large for a 46.
You'll need to stock up on veggies for those plecos. There are one or two prepared foods you can use as well. Contact me for brands.
The tiger barbs are, I'm sure you know, the same species, with the green morph man-made. Fifteen Tiger barbs in your tank will be a pleasant picture.
I wrote a piece on feeding Otocinclus, but the same technics can be used with other loricariads that concentrate on foods of a vegetative source. It's here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=17810).

Dave

fish ninja
05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
That is what I thought about the Rasbora, thankyou for the confirmation. I will also be going with peppermint pleco L30. One other question, Will the different color variants of barbus tetrazona Shoal together?

fish ninja
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I read your piece on feeding Otocinclus,Good info and I will apply this to the plecos and give them plenty of fresh veggies. There are also flat rocks and a piece of wood with algae on them for the pleco to nibble on.

Dave66
05-29-2008, 01:27 AM
That is what I thought about the Rasbora, thankyou for the confirmation. I will also be going with peppermint pleco L30. One other question, Will the different color variants of barbus tetrazona Shoal together?

Yep, ninja, the tiger barbs will all school together, color variation notwithstanding. I've even seen schools of natural, albino and green tiger barbs. Doesn't seem to matter to them; A tiger barb is a tiger barb, no matter the variations.

Dave