PDA

View Full Version : Question about rosy barbs?

jonruthy
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi all,
We have 4 rosy barbs and well we was sat watching our fish and noticed that the rosy barbs where chasing our white mollies around, manly 1 of the big male mollies. They have never done this before, why would they start doing this now is my question?
I know they are ment to be kept in 6's or more, but they have never bothered any of our fish like this before, could they be ready to spawn maybe?
Many thanks.
Jonruthy xx

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, generally if the Rosey Barbs are going to spawn, the male Rosey Barbs are going to start chasing female Rosey Barbs, not male Mollies. :) It could simply be that the fish have been together long enough that the Rosey Barbs are now establishing their dominance in the tank. When you start seeing the males chasing the females then that is an indication of spawning behavior.

jonruthy
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Thank you ILuvMyGoldBarb,
Ok i will keep my eye on them and see what happens, it just seemed very strange for them, hope you don't mind me asking. :)
Here's a pic of the naughty barb in question lol.
Many thanks.
Jonruthy xx

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Looks like a very young barb. I wouldn't expect that it is quite sexually mature yet. I think the dominance issue is probably what you are looking at.

Dave66
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Also, your problem is that you have just four Rosy Barbs. Like all the semi-aggressive barbs, you have to keep them in groups of at the very least six to diffuse the aggression between themselves and their tankmates. You'd have to move a few fish out of their tank for the space, but if you added four more Rosy barbs (do it at night with the tank light off and the room light dim) to your group you'd find your school perfectly peaceable.

Dave

sPuD
06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi, this is a little off topic. but i was thinking of starting up a new tank with barbs in it and since you have some rosy barbs i was just wondering would you recomend them co they look awsome. and if you think they'd be and alright fish for me when is the best time to add them (before or after other fish)

jonruthy
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi namegoeshere,
They are really interesting fish in a community tank, very fast, our barbs are good with most of our fish just now and again they have a funny turn and chase our guppies and mollies but they don't do any harm to them. Barbs have a very Ferocious appetite lol and if allowed they will eat you out of house and home lol.
We put barbs in after we had other fish in the tank so i don't think it makes any differance which way you do it, they will sort out in there own time whos boss in the tank so to speak lol.
jonruthy.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-01-2008, 12:17 PM
First it depends on what kind of Barb you want and second, how big your tanks is.

terrapin24h
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
i have 5 rosy barbs, 4 sunburst platies, and 4 buenos aires tetras. Everybody has a good time. They all will hang out together(almost like a schooling behavior) and the barbs will chase each other but not the other fish. Mine seem pretty peaceful thus far. They were the first fish i added to the tank, and are fish for fish the largest, maybe mine just feel really secure.

--chris