PDA

View Full Version : Betta friends..

Mogymog
11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
I suppose this question is heavily asked and overdone, and I sincerly apologise for it..

But, what would make good friends for a Betta in a roughly 5 gallon tank? I plan on getting a live plant or 2, a whiteknife I belive there called. But, am not sure what other things could share. Seeing as it could only roughly accomdate 4 1" fishies.. or maybe some dwarf frogs, or some other odd animal?

f1oored
11-28-2006, 04:15 AM
It really depends on your fish. Some do well with many other community fish and some bettas just pick on whatever you put in the tank. The frogs are common tank mates as are cory cats. I put a shrimp in with my betta a few days ago and things seem to be going well.

jeffs99dime
11-28-2006, 05:42 AM
i wouldn't recommend the clawed dwarf frogs though.

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Any tankmates you consider need to fit the bill of 2 things....small in size, and low on the bioload. 5 gallons is not much for a whole lot of fish....trust me I have tried several different ones in my daughters tank before settling on the betta. As stated, bettas vary by temperment, so you also want to make sure what you decide to try is either okay to return if it doesn't work out, or you have somewhere else to home it if you just know you will want to keep it! I have 1 betta in a large community tank which works out okay....Seymour runs around flaring at others on occasion, but they just ignore him and noone nips, so we are sticking with it, until spring when I have plans to re-vamp the entire tank. Our other betta is in a 5 gal with 3 baby panda cories, and he doesn't bother them at all....in the beginning he spent alot of time hiding in the caves that he NEVER went in to before the panda's came along, but no nipping or other aggression. Before that we tried an african dwarf frog, which stayed hidden all of the time and eventually died. I am not sure what actually happened because he was 1 of the 3 that had been in my dwarfpuffer tank for months, the other 2 are going strong still. I assumed the frog was coming out to eat at night to avoid the betta, but apparently something must have happened, and I wasn't on top of things so we lost him.

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Apple snails are another good choice, but would outgrow the tank after a year or so (mine good to be the size of a softball).