PDA

View Full Version : When to add a pleco or "tank cleaner"

Cichlid*Newbie
05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Well my tank has been up for a good 2 months now, i still somehow have a bit of ammonia in my tank, i think it was from the overfeeding when i first set it up...however, i vacced a bit out and i think all is okay now...maybe like .25...my fish are healthy and happy no problems as of yet.

Im just wondering when to add a cleaner, how do i know if my tank is "dirty" enought for a pleco to get food/algae...i had a syno a while ago but he died within a week. :( My tank glass and plants are pretty clean, should i be seeing more algae on th glass??

Wild Turkey
05-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Id wait until you see zero ammonia and nitrite before i add anymore fish, but how much algae isnt a big deal since you should suppliment them with other foods as well, like wafers.

However, a common pleco is gonna get way too big for your 29, so make sure you get a smaller variety.

MandyL
05-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Agreed.... Wait til your ammo/trite are 0. You should be ok with a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco in that tank. And yes, the main food source shouldn't be natural algae anyways (he'll clean that out pretty quickly), and you should supplement with wafers as well as fresh veggies.

Cichlid*Newbie
05-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I can't seem to get rid of that big of ammonia..its been there forever...?!?! And nowhere in this town sells a nitrate/ite kit, only ammnia and ph.

KINGMED
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a nice tiny rubberlip in my 29 gallon and they are great little suckers, mine hides most of the day and usually comes out in the afternoon and then is sucking away all over the glass.

Wild Turkey
05-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't seem to get rid of that big of ammonia..its been there forever...?!?! And nowhere in this town sells a nitrate/ite kit, only ammnia and ph.

Maybe you could order online? If you arent testing for NI and NA and you know you have A it sounds like your tank isnt even cycled quite yet, especially since the A isnt dropping

donvichu
05-29-2008, 04:39 AM

If you can drop in a dried badam leaf in your tank the ammonia will be removed,or for some time try doing a 20% water change once a week or once in 2 weeks

Lady Hobbs
05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Over feeding will cause ammonia levels like that, too. Rotting food=ammonia spike.

You do not want a pleco in that size tank and certainly not a common that will get a foot long. For your tank, 1 bristlenose should do the job but you must have 0 ammonia first.

Cichlid*Newbie
05-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Ammonia is at 0 now..!! Yay

donvichu
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Ammonia is at 0 now..!! Yay

way to go,cool