PDA

View Full Version : baby cherry shrimp!

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I just vacuumed my gravel for the first time in about a month probably. I waited so long because last time I vacuumed it, I had to fish out a lot of tiny baby cherry shrimp.

Well - there's MORE! I'm glad I looked in the big pot before dumping it out again. Gotta fish them out...yay!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Very cool Ellen. You may have to start getting rid of a few. LOL Hey, I don't live very far away and I have a small tank begging for some. LOL Just kidding.

Lady Hobbs
05-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Ellen, I put one of my nets over the vac tube. Saves them from being sucked up. My gravel just barely covers the bottom of the tank and since I have no other fish in there, don't need to vac it.

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I thought about that, but I'm afraid it'll hinder the vacuuming of the gravel. I want to get the gunk out - you know? I may try it and see how much gunk gets though. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

ILMGB - lol Well, if the little boogers (cherry shrimp in general) wouldn't hide so much, I'd have a better idea of how many I have!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-18-2008, 12:33 AM
If you get a turkey baster you can easily remove them from the bucket.

MandyL
05-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Aww yay for babies! What I would do when pouring the water out of the bucket is just run the stream through a net, catching the babies in the net. Easier than fishing them out of a bucket.

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 12:41 AM
hmm....a turkey baster. I haven't thought about that yet. I don't even know if we have one lol

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Well, I got the ones out that I could find - only about 3. I looked and looked, but I couldn't see anymore than that. Just hope I didn't miss any!!!

I'm filling my tank back up right now. Dad threw away the bucket that I usually use, so I'm using our big 5g cooking pot - haha. I'll need to get some more buckets soon....or I may just invest in a python system. I need some simple! I had to push in a table we had sitting around the house to put the big pot on, and then I just started my siphon gravel vacuum thing to put the clean water back into the tank. It's working just fine, the water flow is just extremely, extremely slow!

Lady Hobbs
05-18-2008, 01:34 AM
What gunk are you talking about? There should be no gunk in the tank at all with just shrimp. I drop in an alge pellet about 2 times a week for them and it's gone before they get another.

I put a castle in their tank that I never use. They are inside of that thing all the time.

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 02:09 AM
There's stuff in the substrate - I guess it's poop and such. They don't eat poop, do they?

Algenco
05-18-2008, 03:27 AM
There's stuff in the substrate - I guess it's poop and such. They don't eat poop, do they?

yup, they do

Ellen4God
05-18-2008, 04:03 AM
oh, disgusting

Well, I don't know why I have gunk then. It really isn't visible, but when I vacuum the gravel, a lot of stuff goes through the tube - more so when I have the siphon pick the gravel up and sift through it. Does that make sense? It's like the gunk is down in the gravel, not on the top.

jason 77
05-23-2008, 09:47 PM
oh, disgusting

Well, I don't know why I have gunk then. It really isn't visible, but when I vacuum the gravel, a lot of stuff goes through the tube - more so when I have the siphon pick the gravel up and sift through it. Does that make sense? It's like the gunk is down in the gravel, not on the top.

Maybe you are feeding them too much food? Just a thought, but that might be what the "gunk" you are picking up with the tube is?