PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

gwenkat
11-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I know it is Thanksgiving and not many people are on the board, but I hope someone experienced is out there. I have a 29 gallon tank that was cycled with Bio Spira. Worked great. No fish loss. It's been about a month and now all of a sudden my fish are dying. I lost 2 dwarf gouramis and 4 guppies in a matter of days. Now it looks like my dojo is sick too. I have tested the water and had it tested at the lfs and it is fine. Nitrites 0, nitrates less than 10, ph around 7, no amonia. There is no evident illness. Just a listlessness a few hours before they die. I just did a 1/3 water change just to be safe. I have looked for disease and found nothing. Please help. What I have in the tank now - 1 dojo, 3 black skirt tetra, 1 guppy and 2 dwarf gouramis. The only thing that is new is there is an algae growth within the last week. The tetras and other 2 gouramis don't appear effected at all. Any ideas to help save my dojo would be appreciated!!

kimmers318
11-24-2006, 04:58 AM
That is a tough one gwenkat. The algae growth might be just due to new tank syndrome. It seems like no matter how little I used a light when starting a new tank they always went thru an algae bloom that would settle down by itself after a few weeks. Just needed to keep cleaning.
I assume you have been doing the water changes all along, just like with any established tank (happy to hear about success with biospira), is there any chance you forgot to dechlorinate? Any possibility something may have been spilled into or sprayed near the tank that could have contaminated the water? Is temp okay? Another thought that comes to mind is the possibilty that something contaminated your local water supply....it may not have been enough of anything to pose a human threat and made the news, but may still affect the fish. My only recommendation would be to keep up small daily water changes and use something to dechlorinate that helps the fish with their natural defenses (I use stresscoat whenever I think something may be going on). If it is a disease, it sounds like it would have to be internal since there are no visual signs, so you might want to try an internal bacterial treatment.

gwenkat
11-24-2006, 05:06 AM
I have been doing water changes and testing it. Seen nothing to indicate any problem. Temp is holding steady at 74. Always use dechlorinator in my water. I treat the gallon jugs when I fill them and then let them sit to room temp overnight. I can't think of anything that was near the tank that could contaminate it and we are on well water, but I suppose it is possible something got into the water from all the rain... I haven't lost anyone else since late this afternoon. I will do another water change in the morning and keep an eye on them. Maybe I will move Miyagi (the dojo) to the 10 gallon and see if he gets better.... Thanks for replying so quickly.

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2006, 05:22 AM
You don't need to leave jugs of water sitting around if you use decholorinator. Since you have a well, you won't have cholorine but will have metals so should really be using a decholorinator with chloramine which removes metals as well. Just treat and pour.

jeffs99dime
11-24-2006, 05:24 AM
yeah, the dechlorinator works instantly

gwenkat
11-24-2006, 05:25 AM
I usually leave them so the temp is warmer. The water coming out of the well is very cold, so I let it sit overnight to get to room temp, which is very close to the tank's water.

Abbeys_Mom
11-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I had something similar happen when I started fish keeping. I had but some shells in the tank. Turned out they messed up the mineral amount in the water. Lost a lot of fish and learned a good lesson. What kills them makes us smarter.