PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs and Angel Fish

enlite
05-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Tiger Barbs and Angel Fish not get along?

I have 2 Angel and 3 Tiger Barbs, and they seem to chase each other all over, but do not actually nip at each other....

MandyL
05-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Tiger barbs are known fin nippers. It won't be long until they get to work on your angels.

Fishalicious
05-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Yip as Mandy says a definite no-no - Barbs annoy the heck out of angels as they are fast & busy swimmers and the barbs are definite nippers who will not be able to hold themselves back and shred the angel fins

smaug
05-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Barbs and angels are a no go.Tigers get very aggressive and just love to tear up long pretty fins.You really need to seperate them soon.

Lady Hobbs
05-17-2008, 03:04 PM
IMO, Tiger Barbs should have their own tank. Altho I like the way they look, I wouldn't have them unless they had their own diggs as they do play havoc on others.

enlite
05-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I just relocated the barbs to their own tank, they were not getting along with anyone. BOOOO

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, part of the problem could be that you don't quite have enough barbs. If you increase the number to about 5, then the nipping usually stays between them and they leave most others alone. However with the case of Angels and other fish with nice long flowing fins, they are just too tantalizing for the barbs and they go for them not matter what the numbers are.

smaug
05-17-2008, 09:02 PM
GB,nice catch,I didnt see the number of tigers the poster has,I still think they would destroy an angel.I had my tigers in a group of six with like sized fish with no problems but an angel is too tempting for them I think.

DTB1
06-27-2008, 01:00 AM
I have a 40 with a group of 9 tiger barbs. They just hang in their own group and leave the other fish alone. They don't even bother the two angel fish in the tank.

smaug
06-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I know this an old thread,I have an update.A while back I put my 2 old tigers in my 58 gal because I was breaking it down.They are in there with my big angel and they dont bother him at all.I think that may be because the tank is so seperated naturally by plants it gives the tigers a territory within the tank that the angel doesnt tread on.Just some info for the search engine.

sushant
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
i think that its not the barbs that u should be worried abt , because tiger barbs are known for fin nipping.