PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loach Skinny Disease?

Gemini
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I was just reading a forum on practical fish keepers and it says that there is a disease that clown loaches get called skinny disease and that it needs treating. What is skinny disease? What are the symptoms? The reason I ask is that I have two clown loaches bought approx three weeks apart (bought two together, one died it was replaced a few weeks later), and one has grown really well, filled out and is a good colour. The other is I think the same size as when I got him. He's very very skinny. But his colour is ok. I'll try and take a pic when I get home (I'm not a very good photographer), but in the mean time does anyone know about this skinny disease?

Demjor19
05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
i have never heard of skinny disease, but i have had a loach that had gotten so skinny that i thought for sure i was going to lose him, then suddenly he filled out and started growing. i just figured it was due to poor diet a water quality at the fish store, but maybe it was this so called "skinny disease". are you allowed to post the link here? i woulnt mind reading about it myself...

Lady Hobbs
05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't believe skinny disease is all that common. Make sure they are feed plenty and more than just flake food. They eat a variety of things. Sometimes them just forging for food is not enough for them and they want blood worms, shrimp pellets, some give oranges slices, bananas, etc.

Gemini
05-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I've pasted the link I found it on. But the problem is it's just a forum and the guy just says there is a skinny disease but doesn't go into any details.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16478&highlight=skinny+loach&page=2

Thanks Lady Hobbs for your reply! I have been watching him feed and until yesterday he always seemed fine he would grab blood worms very quickly, he would eat the shrimp pellets and when I sunk flake he would eat that too. I also have given them cucumber once a week for a few weeks and both the loaches would sit on that and munch for awhile. But last night I watched him eat and he didn't seem to be able to eat the flake I sank. He seemed to be sitting on a shirmp pellet and looked to me to be eating it but when he swam around he would look at the flake and ignore it. Also my other clown loach has started eating from the top. He'll ignore the food on the bottom and eats the flake from the top with the angel. I don't understand what's going on???

angelcakes
05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
ive heard of skinny disease and its highly contagius some get it confused with internal parasite use this link below to compare your clown with a clown with skinny disease,there is pictures

http://www.geocities.com/pktechlizard/skinny.htm

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Also, check him out good to make sure you see no ick. Hard to see it on those guys as they are so darned fast but you should be able to see it on their tail fin easily. They are susceptible to ick since they are on the bottom of the tank all the time but since you've had him for a while, probably not something you need to be concerned with. Very common when buying new guys, tho.

Loaches are often hiding during the day and out and about at night. Maybe by the time it's their feeding time, the food is nearly gone? Drop in something for them to eat at night when the others are sleeping. They do go thru growth spurts, I've noticed. Seem to hardly do any growing at all for the longest time then all of a sudden, you notice he's grown. He probably is a male, too, and they're smaller and thinner. As long as he has good color, he may be fine.

Mine like summer squash, sliced and blanced, really well. Not so well on bananas. Sometimes they get watermelon, too, and yesterday got some dandeliion greens.

angelcakes
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Also, check him out good to make sure you see no ick. Hard to see it on those guys as they are so darned fast but you should be able to see it on their tail fin easily. They are susceptible to ick since they are on the bottom of the tank all the time but since you've had him for a while, probably not something you need to be concerned with. Very common when buying new guys, tho.

Loaches are often hiding during the day and out and about at night. Maybe by the time it's their feeding time, the food is nearly gone? Drop in something for them to eat at night when the others are sleeping. They do go thru growth spurts, I've noticed. Seem to hardly do any growing at all for the longest time then all of a sudden, you notice he's grown. He probably is a male, too, and they're smaller and thinner. As long as he has good color, he may be fine.

Mine like summer squash, sliced and blanced, really well. Not so well on bananas. Sometimes they get watermelon, too, and yesterday got some dandeliion greens.
i tried mine on banana after reading one of you posts ............they didnt like it same catorgory as the peas:ssad:

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
It gets mushy mighty fast too. Mine eat a bit of it but not fast enough. Last summer they ate watermelon right to the green rind. So far this summer, they won't touch it.

It's like they have to figure it all out and by then, the stuff is rotten and needs to come out of the tank.

bluekrissyspikes
05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
have you treated for parasites? loaches are wild caught and often come with 'guests' in their intestines. if you are interested on learning more about skinny disease you should check out www.loaches.com they are an excellent referance site with many articles written by people with a lot of experience.

Gemini
05-16-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the link angelcakes! I had a look and thankfully he doesn't look like that! He doesn't seem to be wasting away like that. It just seems as though he isn't gaining weight, he seems the same size as when I got him. His poo is always normal - it doesn't look white (is that the only indicator of parasites?). I didn't know about that loach website but I've accessed it and started reading!!!

I've been checking him each day and there are definately no white spots at all on him. I've been a bit retentive about checking him cause I really don't want him to die so I'm certain there is nothing that looks like little bits of salt on him or anyone else in the tank.

All of my fish come out at dinner time. There will be only two visible fish but then they seem to know when it hits 630 cause they will all appear at the front of the tank and swim up and down until I feed them. He definately gets to the food - I just can't tell if he eats. I'm going to try feeding bloodworms tonight cause they all seem to go nuts for them!

Thank you all for your help!!

Gemini
05-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I was wrong!!! :'( I had a really close look when I got home and my loach is all withdrawn and sunken like in the picture!!! I'm so sad!!! The poor thing!! The article says Treatment is erythromycin (Maracyn I, etc.). What is that?? I tried googling it but it comes up as a human medication. Does anyone know what I could ask for from the LFS???

angelcakes
05-19-2008, 07:28 AM
sorry to hear about your clown loach :ssad: heres a link that tells you about maracyn
http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=374&theme=Printer

Fishguy2727
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
It could be internal parasites or the 'skinny disease'. I would get it on a food with a lot of garlic in it (New Life Spectrum's Thera+A) to treat for internal parasites and treat with the Maracyn in case it is skinny disease. Maracyn is a common fish medication found in many pet stores. Try searching for it on online fish stores like bigals, thatfishplace, and drsfostersmith to see what it looks like and who makes it. Then try and get it through your LFS. If they don't carry it you may want to just order it online so it gets there faster, rather than special ordering it from the LFS.

Spyder
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Loaches are all wild caught and should be dewormed. The best way to deworm them is to use Levamisole. I've used it on all my Loaches with great success. If you have Loaches with worms then your entire tank will be infected. Levamisole is a dewormer used on farm animals, you can purchase gigantic pills from farm stores but I wouldn't recommend that, I would get it in a powder form that is close to 100% Levamisole, it's easier to measure and work with. Levamisole will also help the immune system in your fish, really a great product, it will only kill the worms, nothing else.

HTH, Michael

Gemini
05-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you for your help everyone. I'm trying to find some Macaryn but none of the LFS I've been to stock it. So I'll see if I can get it online - I don't think it will arrive in time for this little guy though. He eats but he doesn't grow at all. He's my shrinking clown :(. I'll try and find Levamisole is it available in powder form from farm shops? I don't even know if there is a farm shop in Brisbane or anywhere near it.... So if I read right I can add Levamisole to my tank and it won't hurt my snail or plants or other fish? Incl my corys?

Fishguy2727
05-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Everything at Petsmart is captive bred and they carry clown and other loaches, so at least some clown loaches are captive bred. Even then they are usually bred in huge outdoor vats so they can still have parasites, fungi, etc.

Gemini
05-20-2008, 04:35 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!! I told my partner that I thought the cloan loach had parasites or skinny disease. My partner said he won't get any better and that I was being cruel and should euthanaise (sp?) him. I said ok I would think about it. Anyway he just called and said that he had flushed the clown loach hours ago and just went to the toilet and he's in there swimming. OMG OMG OMG. I didn't want it flushed alive!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm devastated!!! Who could just do that!! What do I do now? What if he's still trying to survive? Should I go home and try and fish him out? I"m at work so I wasn't there!!!! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! If anything I would have frozen him!!!!

Spyder
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Skinny disease if caused because worms eat the food that the Loaches eat. If you kill the worms the Loach should survive. DON'T FLUSH HIM, that's cruel and unnecessary.

Read this post on Loaches.com:
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=13450&highlight=levamisole

Lady Hobbs
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Spyder, any reason garlic soaked flakes wouldn't have worked for instant treatment? I'm thinking since she lives in Aus and has to find the medication and then order it, the loach would be dead by then anyway?

Spyder
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Certainly garlic would help the situation but levamisole would kill the worms instantly. I have no trouble getting levamisole, that's why I gave the link to purchasing levamisole in Australia. I just hope they didn't actually flush a live fish, how cruel!!!

Gemini
05-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Spyder I agree flushing a live fish is an awful cruel horrible thing to do!!! They didn't do this! My idiot partner did. His reasoning - he would prefer to drown in the toilet then freeze to death cause he hates being cold. I was trying to get Levamisole but it's not the easiest thing to do when you work from 8-6 nothings open at night. I was trying to order it by finding the fastest shipper but I was too late :(. I didn't want a live fish flushed at all! I wanted to try and save him if it wasn't too late.
I didn't want to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm devastated I loved that little guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cassandra
04-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Hey all!

ok so it seems I only log on when something is wrong...sadly here I am.

One of my clown loaches has this so-called "skinny disease" :scry: He's got the knifeback along with the rapid breathing...poor lil guy. My other clown loach is plump and eats well and is very active, but the sick one hangs around the top corners, doesnt eat, and sometimes hangs out by the air wand i have along the back of the tank. i have increased the air coming out of the air wand, hopefully this will help the lil guy breathe easier, but he needs meds.

So what do you guys recommend...Maracyn 1 or Levamisole? should i get both? and is it safe to treat the whole tank while I'm at it?

Oscar_freak12321
04-20-2009, 03:46 AM
This is very sad news...sounds like you have worms. Out of the two medications, I would treat him with Levamisole, and to dose very carefully. I hope your fish get better...best of luck!

Cassandra
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
or what about api's general cure? i'm going to look for Levamisole at my lfs, but i really doubt theyll have it :scry:

Gemini
04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
You need a wormer. I don't think the general cure will do it. I ended up euthanaising. Good luck - its sad watching them.

Brainiac
08-31-2010, 10:29 AM
hey guys, first post :)

i have a fair few fish in an 80 Litre tank (about 20 gallons) and i have 2 clown loaches, one is fat and very active and healthy, but one likes to hang around the bottom, not moving much and is extremely thin, i think he has 'skinny disease'. I have him in a small 'breeder box' and he has ample food, however still not eating much.

Is there a medication available to help with his condition and are there any other remedies to help the poor little guy.

Thankyou in advance

Aeonflame
09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Brainiac, this is a very old thread. I suggest you create a new one of your own. You will get a lot more responses that way.