PDA

View Full Version : HeatSavr

houie925
05-13-2008, 03:28 AM
I have a TSN/RTC cross and am planning on building an outdoor heated pond in the not-too-distant future. The pond will be fully in ground, about 10 feet by 20 by 4 feet deep(3x6x1meter), possibly in a greenhouse. He's currently only 5"(12cm) so he's in a 55 gal(210 liter) aquarium for now, upgrade one will be a large stock tank or kiddie pool, then the pond.

I have seen this product "HeatSavr" http://www.solardirect.com/pool/poolcover/liquid-blanket/liquid-blanket.htm used in swimming pools and croc ponds and I'm curious if it could be used for my catfish. I would be heating and aerating the water in an external filter.

Average temps here are about 50F (10C) in coldest months We occasionally get an overnight frost.:4:

Fishguy2727
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Looks like a chemical you put in that sits on top of the water preventing heat loss and evaporation, I doubt that kind of chemical would be safe at all. It probably also completely blocks off gas exchange at the surface as well. I think the greenhouse is the best option.

xoolooxunny
05-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I think it will definitely block gas exchange, and it seems that if you were to heavily aerate the water, this product would lose its effectiveness.

RainMan
05-13-2008, 07:01 PM
one more vote for no way. It's a chemical that coats the surface of the water. It contains isopropyl alcohol as a transport mechanism. The chemical itself or the lack of gas exchange at the surface could harm your fish. It alos might harm the fish's slime coat or gills. ???

However, I found no information supporting my claims. Which was strange... I was almost positive someone has thrown one of these in a pond by now. So, honestly, I'm not sure??

Works great in pools though... My parents use it in their pool. For more info: Heatsavr - The 'liquid' pool blanket (http://www.heatsaver.co.uk)

houie925
05-26-2008, 04:59 AM
I was hoping somebody had tried and would tell me but it's not looking promising. Maybe I ought to put this in the pond forum. Thanks for the input, I won't be using my catfish as a guinea pig on this so it looks like a greenhouse or putting it indoors are my current best options for keeping the electric bill semi-under control. it's already almost time for upgrade one, he's grown over an inch since I posted this topic so the 55 is starting to seem a little cozy. probably moving soon so for now the plan is an indoor pond which can be easily dismantled and set back up in my new place while I prep for the next upgrade. I may add another step between the couple hundred gallon pond and the couple thousand gallon pond as one can never have too many ponds/tanks/aquariums.