PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose male/female

MelonMan
05-10-2008, 01:37 AM
whats the difference between the two? is one bigger and more aggressive or basically the same and are bristlenoses allright to be kept alone with other fish but none of their own sepcies?

Incredulous_Ed
05-10-2008, 01:55 AM
I think the male has a bump on his head or soething.

MandyL
05-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Males have a line of bristles from the top of their head down to their noses. I have never heard of temperament differences between the sexes.

They should be fine alone or with others of their species.

Ghostknife
05-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Male bristlenose develop bristles! Spiny ugly things coming out from their nose area.
Can't tell what they are when they are young though.

toddnbecka
05-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Having more than 1 male BN in a 20 gallon (30") tank isn't wise. Males are territorial, but mainly toward conspecifics. They will claim a "spot" and defend it from other fish (unless the other fish is tougher...), just instinct to claim a breeding site. In a larger tank it is possible to keep more than 1 male, but I wouldn't recommend less than 2' of space allowance for each. A single male may mate with one or two females, any more would be excessive though. A pair will produce plenty of fry; like cichlids it's best to start with a group of juvies and allow them to sort themselves out. Once a pair is established, swap off the rest.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-10-2008, 12:35 PM
It all depends on which species of BN plec you are talking about. The one thing common to all of them though is that the males will have multiple rows of bristles on their forehead and nose. The differece comes in the females. Females will only have one row of bristles around their nose and in some species they will not have any bristles at all.
As toddnbecka said, males are territorial and shouldn't be kept more than a single specimen in a small tank.

angelcakes
05-10-2008, 01:48 PM
It all depends on which species of BN plec you are talking about. The one thing common to all of them though is that the males will have multiple rows of bristles on their forehead and nose. The differece comes in the females. Females will only have one row of bristles around their nose and in some species they will not have any bristles at all.
As toddnbecka said, males are territorial and shouldn't be kept more than a single specimen in a small tank.
you beat me to it nice reply.............:hmm3grin2orange:

duce
05-10-2008, 05:08 PM
as far as i understand sexing bristle nose plecs is males have larger and more bristles but you will only see this when adult . andult females will often have a more flat head coz of when the male is on top of her he will suck on her head>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nice lol

duce
05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
oh and as for numbers they should be ok but the dominante male will take over as dad of any bn fry in ur tank

Ghostknife
05-11-2008, 12:03 AM
oh and as for numbers they should be ok but the dominante male will take over as dad of any bn fry in ur tank

Good to hear, was getting worried. I have 4 BN. I know two are definitely males, as they have been squaring up. The other two are still to be decided on. At least they will live happily together

duce
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
my mate has a few and a single albino m who decided to take over the new fry and claim them as his own, mad but nearly all r fully grown !!