PDA

View Full Version : My Pleco Help

flgirl06
11-20-2006, 02:10 AM
I just upgraded my snails and 2 plecos from a 10 gal tank to a 20 gal long tank. My pleco seems to have bloated or swelled around the stomache area.
There is nothing different except for the tank was upgraded.
Now I can't figure out why my pleco is swelled or bloated or what ever you want to call it. I feed him and the snails every night and by morning the food is gone so I know that he/she has to be eating. He/she is friendly and will let me hold him/her always have and the swelled/bloated area is soft it isnt hard. Someone mentioned that he/she could be constipated and to add some shrimp pellets and that should do the trick but I havent seen any difference. OH day time he/she looks less swelled/bloated than the night time any ideas?
None of my other pleco has done this and my snails and my other pleco in the tank are fine.

Paula

jeffs99dime
11-20-2006, 05:04 AM
maybe she is pregnant? you said you have more than one pleco.

flgirl06
11-20-2006, 05:47 AM
I guess that could be a possibility if it mated with the bristlenose I dont know I have been told that they are egg layers though so I dont have the slightest idea what to think. I have never had this happen before so I am dumb founded on it.

Incredulous_Ed
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Could it be dropsy? it cold have come out of the stress from the moving of tanks.

flgirl06
11-21-2006, 04:22 AM
I guess anything is possible thanks guys for your in put maybe I will get more ideas from the other members

Juannie
11-22-2006, 05:39 AM
I don't know if this helps, but when I've had fish bloat up I've been told to try epsom salts, it seemed to work. I've got a pleco and I always have salts in the tank anyway esp if he's cut an abrasion or similar from another fish, he always heals really well.

flgirl06
12-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Well good news I just let him/her be and kept a close eye out and the bloating is gone and seems to be back to normal.

Abbeys_Mom
12-10-2006, 02:53 PM
DO NOT ADD SALT IF THERE ARE SNAILS IN YOUR TANK.

Sorry to shout, but salt is a horrible way for a snail to die. It dehydrates them.