PDA

View Full Version : Getting pennywort to root

Sasquatch
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi all.

We bought some pennywort a little while ago and we're having the worst time getting it to root. Out of the dozen or so stems that came in the bunch, only about 4 have managed to stay in the substrate and grow decently.

For the rest, what seems to happen is that I plant them, the bottom leaves and the lowest internode go yellow and rot and eventually the plant breaks off. I trim the rotten part and replant ... but it doesn't help.

I've tried to leave them floating to get some roots growing (like I do with my Hygrophila), but it doesn't seem to stimulate root growth at all ... The little roots that were growing at each node have gone brown and are dying off and there doesn't seem to be any new ones growing to replace them ...

FYI, I dose with excel, flourish and an NPK ferts, I have flourite as a substrate and my other plants are doing well (Hygros, java fern and crypts).

Any idea on how to get them to root?

xoolooxunny
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
if floating them isnt working for you, the next thing you can try is using a plant weight, and let it sit on top of the substrate. You have them all seperate right? ok then, use the weight above the last set of leaves so you dont need to clamp it tight, keep space in there for water flow around the stem. I thought this plant was difficult to root, but I only tried it once about a year ago, I probably have more patience now. I had more luck floating it and not rooting it at all. I think its because the root system grows so dang small to begin with, and to make it worse they grow horizontally under the surface of the substrate.

smaug
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I use lead plant weights with all of my stem plants,a very Small strip about half inch long by eighth inch wide wrapped round the base about a half inch from the bottom.Make sure to strip off all leaves from the stem part that will be going in the gravel and plant about an inch and half deep.Make sure to plant each stem individually.If this method still does not hold them then use Small stones to hold them down.

Sasquatch
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I haven't used weights, but I do strip off the bottom leaves and plant them about 1" deep. The problem is that the portion I do plant goes yellow, soft and kinda decomposes ... and the plant ends up breaking off.

I re-checked today and even on one of the plants doing well, the stem is doing this.

Am I missing something? Is pennywort a floating plant? :c2:

smaug
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
no its not a floater but there is obviously something else wrong.How do the leaves and above gravel stem look?

xoolooxunny
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Just try using a plant weight to let the end of the stem "rest" on top of the substrate, not actually planted in.

rionne
12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I was stumbling around the forum looking for some new fish tips and happened to open the aquarium plants section. I found most of your comments very familiar because I have had similar experiences with my aquarium plant challenges. Getting plants to grow well and positively impact my aquariums was my biggest challenge until I a friend of mine suggested I read this book called "Ecology of a Planted Aquarium". This book really shows you how to manage plants in an aquarium and how plants can impact every part of aquarium chemistry.

If you have a chance check out this book at my blog (http://homeaquariums.webjobdaddy.com)

Sasquatch
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks, we've picked up the book, though haven't had a chance to read it yet.

As for the pennywort, we've had great success using it as a floating plant, so no need to worry about the stems rotting.

By the way, welcome to the AC.