PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp and Algae?

MandyL
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
So I found a LFS that carries Ghost Shrimp and I would rather get them since the Cherries are so expensive here... But now I'm reading online that the Ghosts aren't the best at eating algae, and if there is any leftover food whatsoever they will eat that instead of the algae. Specifically I wanted them for the hair/thread algae that is starting to grow.

Does anyone have any personal experience either way? I may still get the Ghosts and see how they fare with my fish, and later get some Cherries. But if they won't eat the hair algae I may not bother with the Ghosts at all.

Wild Turkey
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Everyone i know who has them has said the same, they are great scavengers, a good alternative to corys, or other cleanup crews, but they dont touch the algae. My snails tend to do the same thing, only cleaning the glass when there isnt much else in the tank to eat.

Tolley
05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I guess the best bet for algae eating shrimps would be amano.

jeffandkittie
05-04-2008, 03:05 AM
hey i just had a problem with a little bit of hair alge and read that " florish excell" a liqued co2 would help rid your tank of it and i was useing it anyway it said to doubble dose what the bottle said and it worked great the hair alge was gone in two days and my plants are booming with no i'll effects but i would say get the ghost shrimp anyway cause every little bit helps hope this helped

-jeff-

jeffandkittie
05-04-2008, 03:05 AM
hey i just had a problem with a little bit of hair alge and read that " florish excell" a liqued co2 would help rid your tank of it and i was useing it anyway it said to doubble dose what the bottle said and it worked great the hair alge was gone in two days and my plants are booming with no i'll effects but i would say get the ghost shrimp anyway cause every little bit helps hope this helped

-jeff-