PDA

View Full Version : Cherry shrimp tanks?????

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Does this sound possible? I just copied this from the net somewhere. Has anyone tried putting them with black skirts?

Tankmates-

Any aggressive fish are usually out of the running for shrimp tank mates. If planning to breed the cherry shrimp, most fish are out period, as red cherry babies tend to look an awful lot like baby brine shrimp... and probably taste close to the same as well. Big fish like oscars, larger cichlids, etc. will enjoy the red cherries as a snack, but not as a tankmate. Loaches and similar species of scavenging crustacean eaters are also likely to find an opportune meal in a shrimp tankmate.

Fish I have had shrimp with that donít mess with them: Guppies, cardinal tetras, neon tetras, harequin rasboras ( rasbora hets.. whatever theyíre calling them now), corydoras, snails, siamese algae eaters, and similar species. Iíve had a few red cherries in my 75 gallon with zebra loaches, gold zebra loaches, bolivian rams, and a lot of other fish I didnít think would work with them, but somehow the shrimp remain. Iím not sure if itís due to the heavy plant coverage or theyíre just smart shrimps!

Tolley
05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I suppose it could be hit and miss. Im 80% sure the adults would be fine, would you be hoping for msot of the babies to survive? It could well work if well planted with plenty of java moss

Sasquatch
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't know, if you put little black skirts on your cherry shrimp, they might reproduce even more! :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, most small tetras (including black skirts) should do fine with cherry shrimps. Along the same body lines, but a little smaller, are serpae and phantom tetras which could also work well.

toddnbecka
05-02-2008, 03:04 AM
If you find yourself overrun w/cherry shrimp toss a few in with the fish. The baby shrimp will be good live food, bur smaller fish won't harm the adults.
BN pleco's are the only fish considered safe for keeping w/breeding shrimp.

Lady Hobbs
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Ahhhh, thanks. I didn't know the BN could be kept with them safety. Good to know that. Thanks.

I put a couple of the large shrimp in the tank and the black skirts swam right past them. Well........ one of them swam to the shrimp and checked her out but took off really fast like he was afraid of her. LOL

Algenco
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
most everything except BN will eat baby shrimp. If there is lots of cover enough should survive to keep the colony going.

I tossed some in a 55 several months back that has adult Angels, cardinals, rams, and clown loach's, I see some occasionally .