PDA

View Full Version : Clowns and salt

KINGMED
04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I was wondering if I can add salt with my clown loaches, weather loach and rubbernose pleco? I have bought some lyretail mollies and it is recommended to add 1 tablespoon of salt to the tank I guess per so many gallons, not quite sure on dosage. Just wondering if it would hurt or stress out my loaches or pleco if I add salt to make my mollies happy?

angelcakes
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
i think you will be ok to add salt and the dosage sounds?? fine but i could be wrong,if you add to much salt this might stress your loaches as there scaleless fish,

Demjor19
04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
i think you will be ok to add salt and the dosage sounds?? fine but i could be wrong,if you add to much salt this might stress your loaches as there scaleless fish,

i agree. i have used salt in my loach tank to help heal an injured fish and all was fine.

cocoa_pleco
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
nope, you cant. clown loaches dont have scales, salt will burn their skin

KINGMED
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
O.k. then will it be O.K not to add salt with the mollies? Or. should I move them?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, 2 things. First of all, Salt is fine with Clown Loaches at a concentration of 1tbsp/5gal of water. In the wild Clowns often venture into brackish water for a day or 2, the salinity of brackish water is much higher than 1tbsp/5gal. Second, mollies do not need salt. Mollies are not true brackish fish, they are simply very adaptable. The only thing that salt does is allow you to get away with a lower water quality then you should have. If you do your proper maintanance on your tank you do not need to add salt. However if you want to be able to get away with lower water quality then go for it, but it is not a necessity and the recommendation is not accurate.

Algenco
04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok, 2 things. First of all, Salt is fine with Clown Loaches at a concentration of 1tbsp/5gal of water. In the wild Clowns often venture into brackish water for a day or 2, the salinity of brackish water is much higher than 1tbsp/5gal. Second, mollies do not need salt. Mollies are not true brackish fish, they are simply very adaptable. The only thing that salt does is allow you to get away with a lower water quality then you should have. If you do your proper maintanance on your tank you do not need to add salt. However if you want to be able to get away with lower water quality then go for it, but it is not a necessity and the recommendation is not accurate.

Amen Brother!!

Mvjnz
04-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Loaches and catfish are scaleless fish and do not respond well to salt or medication in the water. It's recommended to only use half the normal dosage. But no, mollies don't need salt, I've had mollies without salt for months.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Only use half doses with meds that recommend doing so, all others should be dosed normally, salt is includedm you cab safely dose salt full strength.

Lady Hobbs
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I have used salt for the treatment of ick in my loaches just fine and they were fine at full doses of 1 T. per 5 gallons.

And yes, I have also keep Mollies successfully without salt. Being able to live without it is not the same as if they would prefer it.

sailor
04-29-2008, 10:48 AM
I have clown loaches in 3 tanks and have never had any problems using salt at 1 tbsp per 5 gal dose.

Demjor19
04-29-2008, 12:07 PM

i agree completely.

KINGMED
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I've decided to keep up my water quality and forget about the salt. I figure it is best to make sure that the fish have a happy and safe environment to live in, I don't want to mask over the quality of the tank by adding salt. Thanks for all the reply's.

Demjor19
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I've decided to keep up my water quality and forget about the salt. I figure it is best to make sure that the fish have a happy and safe environment to live in, I don't want to mask over the quality of the tank by adding salt. Thanks for all the reply's.

when you use salt you want to also keep the water parameters up...there should be no masking anything. the salt is pretty much useless w/ out good water quality.

Fishguy2727
05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Most likely your mollies are domesticated enough to be good enough without salt. Many believe they do not need it at all, but in my experience salt does not just mask problems, even in very well maintained tanks they seem to do better with a little marine salt.

I think clown loaches tolerating salt for periods of time (such as for only a couple days in the wild, if that is true, or for short periods of time while treating diseases) does not mean it is fine. It means no more than they can tolerate it.

This is why I do not recommend mollies in most tanks, it is hard to match up parameter needs with them.

Fishbase.org, one of the best sources for accurate information on fish and their native ditribution, water parameters, and maximum size, lists mollies (Poecilia sphenops) as freshwater, brackish.

Fishbase.org lists clown loaches as freshwater, it does not mention anything about brackish.

For this tank I think the best idea is to simply keep the water quality up (same with any tank) without any salt.

Honestly I hear it over and over but have never seen any actual information that backs up the issue with scaleless fish. Scales don't keep meds and salt out, both of these things get in through the gills. I have heavily medicated (well above any recommended dose) things like loaches and channel cats without any issue. In addition, people apply the same 'rules' to things like plecos and cories, which have extra-thick plate-like scales. So I do not see any trend in either direction and I feel it is no more than a very popular and continually regurgitated myth. If anyone has any information to the contrary please post it or link to it.