PDA

View Full Version : pleco advice?

graceluvsplatys
04-28-2008, 01:24 AM
I am starting a 20 gal tank ( fishless cycling now), and I plan to have to start 4 platys and a female betta. I want to add a bristle nose pleco, but I need info on them.

How big?
will they fit in my tank?
what do they eat/require in their enviorment?
are they aggressive?
colors/ bioload?

thanks for any help or advice. If you reccomend a different bottom feeder, that would also be appreciated if this pleco is not a good choice.
( i do not want bottomfeeders that require large schools, as I am paranoid of being overstocked

Thanks!

RainMan
04-28-2008, 01:38 AM
That might be pushing it in a 20gal. I don't have any experience with them. I hear they are an algae chow hound. But, it grows to 4-5". Probably ideal to be in a bigger tank... like a 30gal long... 36" tank. However, might be an exception here. But, I doubt it. I just thought I'ld come in and keep you company. LOL Sorry I didn't really set anything in stone for ya.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Depends on what species of Bristlenose you get. Some of them only get to about 3" long but those are not all that common in the hobby and are going to be a bit more pricey. If you are wanting a common bristlenose then you really should look into a bigger tank.

MandyL
04-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Grace if you really aren't sold on taking up space with catfish, why not look into shrimp? It might be hit and miss on if your fish would eat them, but again there are larger varieties and with enough plants they would hide... Best of both worlds, they'd clean up left-over food as well as eat algae.

graceluvsplatys
04-28-2008, 02:24 AM
I asked the question of how to stock a 20 gal, and everyone reccomended a bristlenose. Mine is a 20 long btw

I think they are soo cute, ill check the lfs to see what they havein stock

smaug
04-28-2008, 02:31 AM
I see no reason why you couldnt have the smaller variety of BN.Clown plecs stay small as well but they are not as big into algae as BNs.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-28-2008, 02:35 AM
If you are really interested in getting one of the smaller BN plecs then check out www.exoticfinds.net. They have a large variety of plecos. Anything that is in the Ancistrus genus qualifies as a bristlenose plec. Take your pick, there are over 60 species.

toddnbecka
04-28-2008, 02:45 AM
In a 20 long you caould keep either a single or a pair of common BN pleco's. I have one in a 55, she keeps the entire tank spotless. Obviously a new tank isn't going to have much algae, so you will need to feed the BN veggies. Green beans, romaine lettuce, peas (best to squeeze them so the skin breaks), zucchini, among others. I nuke mine for 1 minute before feeding, blanching is better for lettuce or other leafy veggies though. Some sort of driftwood is also helpful to provide fiber in their diet.
Males are territorial, mainly toward other BN's, less so toward other bottom-dwellers. Unless you really want to deal with hundreds of fry, stick with one rather than a pair.
Colors are mainly brown, albino, or occcaisonally you may find black w/white or gold spots available. Brown and albino are the most common, also the least expensive.

graceluvsplatys
04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I dont care about algae consumption, I only want one cause of their uniquenes! I can provide veggies, what types cant they eat? are veggies harmful to other fish? I will only get 1. Are bn's the smallest single type? i really want a little one

smaug
04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I dont care about algae consumption, I only want one cause of their uniquenes! I can provide veggies, what types cant they eat? are veggies harmful to other fish? I will only get 1. Are bn's the smallest single type? i really want a little one
clown plecs stay small.

graceluvsplatys
04-29-2008, 03:01 AM
how small?
I have a 7 gal long, totally empty jic

smaug
04-29-2008, 03:06 AM
They stay around 3 inches ,but I wouldnt put one in a 7 gal.I thought you wanted one for a 20?Clowns need driftwood in there diet as well.

graceluvsplatys
04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
oh yeah, iot is for the 20g, I just wanted to tell u just in case