PDA

View Full Version : Kuhli Loaches

Lakea
04-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Well if I can get rid of these cichlids I have I will have an empty 29gallon and I have been thinking of ways to stock it. I haven't really heard much of anything about Kuhlis. Would I be able to fit a couple into a 29g? If so what other fish would they be compatible with? Are they fun fish to have? I know they are mostly nocturnal, but I don't mind. And they prefer a sandy substance right? I would love to here from anyone who has had experience with them, Thanks!

smaug
04-27-2008, 03:56 AM
When I was very young my parents had kuhlis in our family tank.I remember them being a weird cute little fish with a load of energy.Any small loach would be at home in a 29.I have yoyos at the moment ,I cant believe it took me so long to make up my mind to get them.Kuhlis would get along with anything that didnt mess with them.And yes,they would do better with a fine grain substrate because of there burrowing and rooting around.

Mvjnz
04-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Kuhliis are very peaceful and can't defend themselves, so it's very important than any other fish you get is not aggressive. They need to be at least 3, but preferably 5 together. It will make them less shy. And you are right about them preferring sand, they like to bury themselves in it. Just make sure the sand isn't made from crushed rocks, because then it will have heaps of sharp little edges.

Lakea
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Well Thank you for the info, I think I would enjoy having these guys in the future!

xoolooxunny
04-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I have 3 in my 75g, with flourite substrate, and they've been doing well since I got them a yr ago.

toddnbecka
04-28-2008, 03:03 AM
They're a social fish, the more the merrier. I'd recommend 6-8 of any schooling fish, kuhli's are no exception. Some small tetra or rasbora species would go well with them, avoid cichlids or most barbs.