PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sea Salt to fresh water fish

xbox360blue
04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
What kind of tank would you classify it. If I added like a rounded teaspoon of sea salt to every 5 gallons of water. Do you call that tank a Brane tank or Brine tank? To add some helpful elements to the tropical fish. My local pet store told me it's like gatorade for the fish.

OscarFan
04-27-2008, 03:30 AM
If you are talking actual salt then it would be called brackish. If it is aqua salt it is not actualy salt but a slime coat.

smaug
04-27-2008, 03:34 AM
That would all depend on what kind of fish you have,it could be seasoning!We just had a long thread about the benefits of using salt in FW.I think it was split almost 50/50 for and against.

Wild Turkey
04-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Yea its called brackish water. it means semi-salty, i got beat to this post lol. The bay which i live near is brackish, as its very large and opens up the the Atlantic. As far as it being like gatorade for fish lol i dont know about that one... lol it depends on the fish you keep

xbox360blue
04-27-2008, 04:55 AM
If you are talking actual salt then it would be called brackish. If it is aqua salt it is not actualy salt but a slime coat.

Thanks so much! What brand of salt should I use? And how do you add those cartoon graphics to my profile picture? Where do I go for those? When I get my 55 gallon tank I was thinking of turning it into salt water tank I've always wanted one. Becuase of the colorful fish and and the tropical fish just don't have any color at all. What do you recommend? What basic supplies would I need to set a actual salt water tank up? Sea Sand, coral, Natural bacteria etc.

Thanks so much

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Your fish store told you a load. Salt in a Freshwater tank is not like gatorade for your fish. Salt doesn't prevent things like Ich or fungus, it simply lets you get away with lower water quality then you should have. Adding salt to a freshwater tank is not necessary at all. In fact there are a number of ways in which it can be detrimental to the health of your fish and I personally do not suggest it. Some people here do it but IMO it's not necessary at all.

Drumachine09
04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Adding one rounded teaspoon to your tank per 5 gallons isn't even enough to bring the salinity up NEAR brackish levels.

orb4me
04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Adding Aquarium salt to fish tank sounds like a discussion on UGF's:14:

RainMan
04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Adding Aquarium salt to fish tank sounds like a discussion on UGF's:14:

That's a good comparison.

Salt in fw is not recommended unless neded.... and if you need to treat a fish with salt... it is the change in salinity that is useful. So, if you already have salt in the water, you totally defeat the purpose. Some fish dont tolerate it at all either. So, becareful with it.

1tbs per 5gallons is a treatment for illness.... like ich.

xbox360blue
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Then What Does Bring It To Brackish Levels?

Drumachine09
04-27-2008, 07:05 PM
What fish are you keeping?

xbox360blue
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
None right now. Just wanted to turn my 10 gallon into a brackish tank. How much sea salt do I put in? I don't have any fish in it now.

RainMan
04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Brackish water is the mixture of ocean into freshwater... usually in an estuary of a stream. So you use marine salt.

I've never kept brackish water fish at full brackish levels before. But, iirc, you increase salt until you are up to a specific gravity of 1.005 - 1.010? That's probably closer to 5tbs. of marine salt to each gallon. I might be off on the specific gravity and salt concentrations without looking it up. But, I think it depends on what kind of fish you want and what type of environment you are trying to produce. You would be wise to ask the lfs what they keep there brackish water fish at... and maintain that level.

But, basically you are trying to achieve a mixture of ocean and freshwater... the more salt, the more you are reproducing the conditions of the ocean. Which i think has a specific gravity of 1.020 or 1.025 (again from memory).

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
What are you wanting to keep in a 10gal tank that requires brackish water?

RainMan
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
LOL... good point ILMGB.

xbox360blue
04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Who are the Ifs? I'm starting to get a little scared. I have limited income just got a new job. And it's expensive enough to buy a $169.99 55 gallon fish tank kit from Wal-Mart. To spend $30 and up on salt water fish to make a mistake in the nitrates, salt, all that. May be when my kids are graduated and out of the house LOL. More money. But what are nitrates? Is there nitrates in freshwater tanks too? Do I need to measure the amount of nitrates in freshwater tanks as well? All I've done is add water conditioner. Now I see thiers an bacteria additive to add to freshwater and salt water. I think I'll stick to what I have the most experience and that's fresh water community fish tanks.

RainMan
04-28-2008, 01:25 AM
lfs = local fish store. This can be an expensive hobby. It costs a lot more of you don't plan and have to start over. So... You should read our Free Aquarium Ebook. It's in the left navigation bar. Start with that... you need to get down the basics first and that is full of info.

Nitrates are the ending process of the biological filtration (nitrogen cycle). You will learn about that as you read the ebook. and yes... ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, are some of the most important levels you need to keep track of in any fw and marine tank.

Take your time and read up before you make your decission. No need to rush into any decisions yet. There is a ton of information to absorb. You'll figure it out... and what you don't, that's what we're here for. :)

domjd05
10-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Adding salt to a freshwater tank might enhance the slime coat on your fish, but your stressing your fish out to get the slime coat... so your making a fish sick, to ultimately make it better... or you can just leave it alone.

cocoa_pleco
10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
threads from april

Demjor19
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Adding salt to a freshwater tank might enhance the slime coat on your fish, but your stressing your fish out to get the slime coat... so your making a fish sick, to ultimately make it better... or you can just leave it alone.

i know this is an old thread, but i disagree with what is being said. First off it depends on the species of fish you are adding the salt too. Secondly i have been using salt for years for various reasons and have had nothing but great results. There are way too many variables to just say salt is non-beneficial.

ravenmyth
12-06-2008, 04:55 AM
You can look up specifics but in essence it is part ocean (salt) water and freshwater. It most commonly occurs where a river enters the ocean. You can also find it in some desert locales where ponds have a high salt content.

I agree be careful as only certain fish actually thrive in it.:22:

cocoa_pleco
12-06-2008, 06:04 AM
old thread