PDA

View Full Version : 1 shy clown loach?

chikistar
04-13-2008, 02:44 AM
howdie all, so i have 2 small clow loaches in a 29g tank and they like resting/sleeping under my heater which is just above the gravel which is fine but one of the loaches always comes out to play with the cories and swim along and all but the other one is most of the day under the heater, he comes out along the day and swims with the otehr loach around and eats but is it just because hes really shy? btw regarding the small tank size dont worry ill be getting a 55g soon for these guys. so yea he has no marks of illnes of any sort whatsoever. so is he just like really shy or lazy and likes to rest alot?

angelcakes
04-13-2008, 08:38 AM
what youre clowns are doing sounds normal,remember clown loaches are nocternal but the younger they are they do tend to come out and play more during the day..i have clowns most are active during the day but the odd one or two does hide during the day and comes out for food,it could be hes just happy by the heater,but main thing is his eating and you have seen him swimming about and there are no signs of illness but if youre still worried still keep an eye on him...but in my own exprience i dont think you have anything to worry about.
try placing some cucumber on the bottom of the tank weigh it down with a spoon or give some frozen bloodworm not freeze dried...trust me he will fly out from his hiding place no clown can resists the taste.lol

William
04-13-2008, 08:57 AM
I don´t think you have nything to worry about either. Fish has different presonalities and some are shyer than others.

chikistar
04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
yea i see both of them swiming up and down the walls and on the gravel guys this fish are just amazing i mean i have no words, their shape is unebliveable but yea i was just worried about that lil guy there that likes to hide, but yea i just woke up and they are really active right now, in the evening the shy one is like under the heater and the other one aswell but the other ones comes out and swims with the corys here and there lol, its so cute. so yea i was just a little concerned you know, but i do have freeze dried bloodworms, i bought the live blood wroms before but i really didnt like it because several reasons, i must keep it frozen in my fridge after every time i use it, i need to be carefull not to add alot because one time before i added so much by mistake and i had to siphone it all like 3 times lol it was a nightmare lemme tell ya. i tried giving them the dried bloodworms when they were in the upper part of the tank and when he noticed it he got a few of them, will corys go crazy for the worms too? i can go out and buy it thats not the problem but do they really like it? their main food is the sinking shrimp pellets. btw i want to try brine shrimp for the first time but i have a question, how do i ask them for that in the store and how much should it cost?

sailor
04-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I have a smaller clown loach that spends a lot of time hidding but every once in a while will come and join in the traveling loach circus in my tank. it is perfectly normal.

chikistar
04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
awesome, thanks sailor, what do u feed ur loaches sailor?

sailor
04-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Mine are eating the nls sinking pellets with the cichlids they are with as well as go crazy over the frozen mysis shrimp I put in once a week as a treat.

chikistar
04-13-2008, 04:17 PM
can u please link me to the frozen mysis shrimp? i dont know what it is but it sounds like ur loaches like it, im really clueless as to what food to give to my 2 loaches, i just give them shrimp sinking pellets by Wardley.

sailor
04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Here is a link to frozen mysis shrimp
Most LFS have a frozen food section so the brands may vary from store to store.

http://www.saltycritter.com/foods-piscine.htm

I give it to all my fish as a treat except my tropheus and malawi tank.

chikistar
04-15-2008, 04:36 AM
hey guys, so a few days passed since my last post in this thread and the 2 clown loaches are basically acting the same way, they seem to like it there under the heater, they come out sometimes but most of the time when i look at the tank they are under the heater, i think they may be active at night like everyone says because when i wake up in the morning i see both of the swiming and what not with the corys but in the afternoon- evening they spend alot of time under the heater ,its like its their cave or something becausee see, this is how i have it set up , the aquaclear heater is horizontal right, and underneath is is the gravel, but i left a little space between the gravel and the heater because its importnat that nothing touches the heater according to the heater's instructions because if gravel or anything is touching the thermometer of the heater it might not be measuring the temp aswell but what im trying to say is that there is a small gap between the heater and the gravel, and these 2 clown loaches hang out in the wholes between the heater and the gravel, should i like raise up the heater so the distance from the gravel and the heater is bigger and maybe then they wont like it there so much? or should i just let them be and maybe they'll get used to the tank and like to come out more often?

thanks

Arkie
04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
id just let them be, they sound happy and healthy if they are eating and swimming around (as said by everybody else), have you thought bout maybe getting one or two more? i had two that were rather shy but i put a third in and the difference is amazing!!!!! they still go hide and stuff like loaches do but they now swim around playing tag and things. im actually considering getting maybe a fourth or fifth to add to the group :18:

chikistar
04-16-2008, 01:58 AM
ugh i dont know about getting a third one because my tank is too small for that many u kno..what otehr fish do u have in your tank?